what should I do?? (another n00b question)...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nelson1980, May 24, 2003.

1. Thanks Mike B.. I won't take your post negatively and I do not feel like you are lecturing me.

I believe what you said would have costed me a fair amount of time reading a huge book or two and cash if I were to get that from experience. And thank you dearly for you wise advice and your willingness to type it into the open for someone like me to learn from.

#21     May 25, 2003
  2. Here's a job at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. You can even trade the eminis for an hour and a half after this job is done. After a while you can get a job as a floor broker (don't tell the Exchange that's what you may do or you won't get this job) and then start trading your own account.

This job is good because you get to see what professional traders do.

http://www.mgex.com/about/employment/new positions.htm

Immediate Part-Time Openings

ENTRY LEVEL PART-TIME POSITIONS

Department:
    Exchange Room

Open Position(s):
    Exchange Room Clerk

Objective:
    To accurately and quickly observe and record market transactions. To assist in providing a proper floor trading environment.

Responsibilities:
    Completion and distribution of market data, update settlement and trade data at end of each trading session, report futures quotations of various markets, surveillance of trading pit activity within various markets and assist with member services.

Qualifications:
    Strong communication and problem solving skills, self-confident, motivated and able to work as a team player. Computer literacy and ability to work with word processing/spreadsheet programs.

Hours:
    9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, or as market needs require, advancement to full-time position on availability.

Hourly Wage:
    Competitive incentive and bonus programs available

Contacts:
    Minneapolis Grain Exchange
    Department of Exchange Room
    400 South Fourth Street, Suite 111
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
    (612) 321-7159
    Fax: (612) 321-7180
    Email: nwarren@mgex.comMinneapolis Grain Exchange

Human Resources
    400 South Fourth Street, Suite 150
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
    Fax: (612) 321-7196
    Email: resumes@mgex.com

#22     May 25, 2003
  3. funky

funky

this is also another feeling that new traders get....i did. the feelings of 'getting in the game' before the market has no more money to give. it gets worse -- when you see other traders making money on days that you lost alot, or broke even, you will be frustrated. i can remember not long ago when i left for hawaii on my vacation -- it was on a friday at 10:24am that I logged off. At 10:26am the market broke for one of the biggest rallies we've seen in a year. I came back to see that the market broke exactly when i left. frustration is a common thing with traders ad this is always one of the reasons.

but let me share with you something that i've realized since then, that you will either accept now or will have to learn the hard way: the market was around well before you were born, and it will be around well after you die. it will ALWAYS be a fact that you can make money by trading some sort of market, with some sort of strategy. there will NEVER come a time in your life, that the market will be untradable or unprofitable.

waiting 2 or 3 months before you start trading for real will NOT decrease your chances of success. say that with me...."The market will be around tomorrow." say it again. 1 more time. ok, now this works in all timeframes too. If you trade intraday, you will realize this. during slow days where news or other external factor cause the volume to drop off and volitility to increase, you should repeat the saying again. repeat it two times more. The market will be around tomorrow.

many traders won't admit this, but the thing that makes you the most money is right above your chair seat. the ability to sit tight and not trade...sounds funny? print out a copy of this and stick it in your logs, and in 2 months come back and read it again. to pull money out of the market consistently, you need to be like a hunter...stalking your prey....wait........wait.....wait until its out in the open.......wait........BAM!!! the second the deer jumps out from behind the trees you don't hesitate. but until it does, you're gonna be firing precious ammo. another way to think of this: its like fishing with bait, and using the bait for your own food. eventually you could be out of food if you continue to fish for things that aren't much bigger than your bait.

my .0199 cents....

#23     May 25, 2003
  4. lundy

lundy

Pursue your dreams. If you aren't happy, at least you'll live in a perpetual state of non-reality.

#24     May 25, 2003
  5. that 'BAM!!!' part was alone worth all 0.0199 cents. :)

#25     May 25, 2003
  6. Where you telling me that I am exposing myself too much that I am making myself vulnerable ? or that,

I sound so naive and stupid that you know my impatience is gonna lead me into utter self destruction?

Nelson,

I guess it came out like I was saying that you were open, vulnerable, naive, stupid, and impatience, and a loser.

• If you were closed minded you would not open yourself publically to a discriminating forum of people that are incognito and un-identified.
    • If you were not so confident, bold and motivated you would be vulnerable but this is not your case.
    • If you were stupid....well you have a degree don't you?

IMPATIENT...YES
    • Loser, I do not think so...you remind me of myself.

Michael B.

#26     May 25, 2003
  7. Well Said

Michael B.

#27     May 25, 2003
  8. Mike thanks again.

and I understand what you all are saying.

I am going to wait, finish my degree, and get a night job and get some money and see where its going to take me.

#28     May 25, 2003
  9. But..............You must practice and use this time wisely....You seem to have monthly income....spend some of it on a datafeed and charting program.

Michael B.

P.S. step by step........reach your goal with baby steps...

Michael B.

#29     May 25, 2003
  10. Nelson1980

A lot of people over estimate what they can do in a year

but heavily under estimate what they can do in a decade or 2.

#30     May 25, 2003