What service you use to connect to the Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KHL, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

\

Do not post here while in college, this is an order. !!

You must go out and get laid as much as possible, you will have plenty of time to post on uninteresting forumns when you get older.

Beleive me once you are out of college, the variety of woman severly goes down. You maybe talking to 2-3 woman all week,,!!!!,,, yikes, i know scary,

this is an order, turn computer off, go bang your apartment neighbor, she will thank you for it.

EF

#31     Feb 4, 2011
  2. chisel

chisel

[​IMG]

#32     Feb 4, 2011
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

[​IMG]

#33     Feb 4, 2011
  4. He said "FIOS". Which means fiber optic. 30 Mbps is not out of line. Could be faster even. The upload speed is not as asymmetric as cable modem or DSL that you have seen.

As for "adding another PC to the WAN"... is the second PC sharing your WAN connection via a router? If so, then the speed will be affected because you are sharing the 30Mbps throughput among 2 devices. Exactly which one will get how much is hard to tell because it depends on what the 2 computers are doing (downloading/uploading-wise) at the time.

FIOS is the way to go. Unfortunately I live in an old community where such an option is not offered. (My cable coaxial wire came from a telephone pole!) Only in the newer neighborhood where they put all the wires underground.

#34     Feb 4, 2011
  5. Don't forget, upload and download speed tests are all fine and dandy, but it is most helpful to do a "trace-route" to your broker's server address in order to see how much latency you are dealing with.

Simply go into the DOS prompt of your computer ( usually found under "Accessories" in Windows, and at the prompt type in:

tracert(space)your server's address

And see what kind of latency you get on the last several hops to your brokers' data-feed/execution server.

#35     Feb 4, 2011
  6. This thread suddenly became very relevant to me. My ISP, RCN, raised by bill $15/month, I guess because some prior promotion I was on ran out. Before I go through the agony of calling them up and trying to renegotiate, I want to get the wisdom of you guys as to what I should do.

I have the luxury of living in an area where I can use RCN or Comcast cable, Verizon FIOS, Verizon DSL or Clearwire/Sprint.

I currently have 10mbytes/sec speed, although whenever I have run a speedtest it has been less, often a lot less. For the past couple ofmonths, I have also been getting annoying 5-10 minute outages, almost every day. Tech support denies any issues on their end and says it is my equipment.

All in all, RCN has been reliable for the past few years, and keeping them would obviate the need to change email, etc. If i can do better however, I would change. For me, speed is not so much of an issue as total reliability.

#36     Feb 5, 2011
  7. The speed is usually quoted in Mbps - mega bits per second. 1 byte = 8 bits. 10 Mbps - 25 Mbps are cable modem speed.

IMO FIOS (fiber optics) is the best in terms of speed and reliability. I don't have any experience with it because it's not available where I live. I have both Comcast cable modem and AT&T DSL (5 Mbps). Comcast was bad a year ago with a few outages. But for the past year it has been better. My AT&T DSL on the other hand has been very reliable. I have it for about 2 years and I haven't had any outage. Sometimes the DSL modem reports a disconnect or something but so far it has been able to auto-recover (takes about 2 to 3 minutes) and I didn't even need to call AT&T. DSL, however, has a speed limit. 5 Mbps is about as high as you can get.

#37     Feb 5, 2011
  8. Yes, of course it is Mbps, I misspoke. I just ran the speed test and got only a little over 3 Mbps. I am paying for 10. I understand it can vary and 10 is the max, but isn't that kind of slow?

I just noticed that winston said the Clearwire did >40Mbps. Fios has different speeds but the cheapest, whcih is comparable to the Clearwire service in cost is 15 Mbps. Plus, there is the headache of dealing with verizon and a rather involved installation that will require mounting boxes on my house and drilling holes through it.

Is there a security issue with the clearwire service?

#38     Feb 5, 2011

9. Yes correct , it is verizon fios. I have a tier 2 fios bundle package. That includes phone, tv , and fios Internet 25/25 package. At $99.00 a month not including taxes, fees, also fios boxes are required per tv . I do often get 30/30 speeds. Verizon offers much greater speeds for an increased price. The Internet is solid and never once has been disrupted. I have used fios at least three straight years. Tv signal is noticibly sharp and clear.

There is an installation required to the home which is simple. A fiber line is run to the home and a fiber network device installed on the home. From there the existing cables that run through home are used. The entire install is possibly 3 hours.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/aboutFiOS/Overview.htm?CMP=DMC-CVS_ZZ_ZZ_E_TV_N_X001

#39     Feb 5, 2011
  10. #40     Feb 6, 2011