What service you use to connect to the Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KHL, Nov 17, 2005.

1. KHL

KHL

Taking informal survey about what service you currently use to connect to the Internet (e.g. DSL, cable, T1, wireless, satellite, dial-up, etc.), what is the downstream / upstream speed, name of the company / provider and how much you pay (optional).

Do you also have a back up and what that is?

And finally what would you consider the minimum downstream / upstream speed for trading? :cool:

2. gk1998

gk1998

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 62073 kbps (7759.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 8704 kbps (1088 KB/sec transfer rate)

free, I'm in school and live on campus.
    no backup

3. Choad

Choad

Dammmmm, yer bustin' my balls with those speeds!

I'm on DirecWay Satellite and I get (when it's working) about 550kbs Down and about 40kbs up.

And it costs $70/month! :(

edit: just tested and it is 106K/5K ... Blazing!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 868 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 106 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
    Test Time:: Thu Nov 17 18:23:52 PST 2005
    Bottom Line:: 15X faster than 56K 1MB download in 9.66 sec
    Diagnosis: Looks Great : 2.6 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 39 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)
    Upload Speed is:: 5 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server1)
    Test Time:: Thu Nov 17 18:25:23 PST 2005
    Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 204.8 sec
    Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 75 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

4. DS-3

44.736Mbps symmetrical :p

5. Choad

Choad

Fer chrissakes arb, that's so damn fast you probably get your response data...before you even hit ENTER!!!! :eek:

6. j/k, we had it in Dallas due to the wife's gig in telecom. I am sitting on a 3Mbps connection in NV.

7. Choad

Choad

Yeah, and DS3 costs something like $3K - $12K month anyway, even if you can get it.

Doubt most traders futzing around at their house needs that speed. Heck, I can make a couple bucks even with my shiitey satellite...

8. Mileage was very short, and it was shared with 4 other users.

9. Choad

Choad

I can imagine - you'd just about have to be next door to the phone company switching office.

One cool thing about the sat systems, is that the Hughes NOC ground station is near Wash DC and my transceiver is in the Mojave Desert. The whole Western power grid can be blacked out and I will still be able to connect (I can use my HD UPS for a couple hours and I have a gen)...somewhere!

10. Using private T-1 to Chicago from DC for trading and Verizon for DSL to run charts/internet access. I can't stand cable. Never had good luck with it. 5Mbps down and 1.7Mbps up. Never had failures or interruptions with DSL but had plenty with Comcast and Cox. Besides, I don't like sharing bandwidth.

#10     Nov 29, 2005