What Security do you use?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by nikdevid, Dec 2, 2009.

1. the reason there are few mac trojans is

once you give all your $ to Jobs, you have nothing left to steal

#21     Mar 29, 2010
  2. MacBook Pro 15.4" running naked.

Vista Ultimate with PC-cilin on my still good home brew Athlon FX60.

Windows XP with MacAfee on Dell XPS laptop.

I've used Macs from 1983 and stopped in 1996 believing that maybe I was getting ripped off since everybody in the MS-DOS and Windows world kept telling me that I was overpaying for my Apple comps. Apple Macs in the 80's and early 90's really were expensive back then.

I bought and made exclusively Windows machines since 1996 and got quite accustomed to them. I even derided others for using Apple Macs.

I then grudgingly bought my MacBook Pro 1 year ago only because I needed it to develop apps for the iPhone. I bought the older discontinued model with the silver keys trying to save some money on something I did not really expect to be worthy of normal use.

After I got through unlearning my Windows habits (Microsoft had reversed the locations of the graphical controls from the original positions Apple had in the 1980's OS e.g. Apple menu bar on top vs Windows task bar at bottom, window controls on upper left for Apple vs upper right for Windows, etc) I realized that I had forgotten how "easy" and effortless a Mac user experience could be. I was blown away by the speed of Mac's OS X startup from both cold and sleep as well as the crazy stability. The design of the MacBook Pro was truly ingenious. The touchpad use was phenomenal and something I never would have even thought could be amazing coming from the Windows world. I had been thinking of tech specs mostly using/building PCs and not the subjective quality of the total user experience.

I had just gotten used to
    Microsoft's blue screens of death and all the hours I spent in the past troubleshooting.

Windows machines may be cheaper, but only if your time isn't worth much. At this stage of my life, I can't afford NOT to use a Mac/iPhone/iPad.

As far as security, your odds will be better with a Mac running OS X.

#22     May 8, 2010
  3. r-in

r-in

Blue screen of death, lol. I've had a Dell for 7 years and I just had my first BSOD in the last 3 weeks. It happens at shut down and shows a typical cryptic MSFT error message. I wrote it down and researched it for all of about 20 minutes. It is either a piece of hardware going bad or the latest version of Zone Alarm causing the problem. Now, I don't think MSFT made the hardware last time I checked, and Zone Alarm isn't owned by Microsoft.
    So I guess my first BSOD in 7 years is way to time consuming. LOL
    I do agree that MSFT does invite every POS out there to attack their software because they are the largest software provider. I have wasted time fixing problems as a result over the years, and that is a big annoyance. I'm not sure that it is completely their fault, but there are things they could have done when putting out new versions of Windows to aid in preventing attacks. We all know however that dirtballs would find a way in.
    I'd buy an Apple computer, but for the cost difference it isn't worth it to me.
    Despite what Apple fanboys will tell you, Apple products aren't perfect. I'll say you will never catch me throwing a fit over MSFT products and going nuts making insane claims of they are the greatest thing on earth, and that I worship Bill Gates every Sunday. However I have experienced these reactions about Apple and Steve Jobs when I said that a guys IPhone was ok, but aren't there a bunch of toys like it out there? I heard the whole recitation of the Apple bible for such hearsay. Since the guy was a husband of a friend of my wife I had to turn away and roll my eyes and walk off before laughing.

#23     May 13, 2010
  4. r-in

r-in

Sorry forget to say. Using Zone Alarm Security Suite. It has missed a few things, but was able to eliminate after it did catch the items. I am debating switching to another Suite come renewal time as the last update(whole new download, not just virus signatures) has really slowed down system performance.
    I have nothing on a laptop running Unbuntu, and as far as I know no problems. To me Unbuntu is a good alternative to Windows systems.

#24     May 13, 2010
  5. I find the Apple "wonder" experience to be overblown. I have run XP. Vista, and 7 on a few machines, and rarely have problems beyond what Apple users seem to claim.

#25     May 14, 2010