what screen size is best for daytrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jetq, Jan 20, 2006.

1. syrre

syrre

It is possible to run 1600x1200 in a 19"

#11     Jan 23, 2006
  2. This is not quite correct.
    To compare both, viewing distance should be adjusted so that the picture projects an identical image onto the eye's retina. Resolution or "sharpness" should then come to the same result. 19" screens have an advantage if they have to be viewed at greater distance, for example by several persons at the same time. They mostly would be at a disadvantage for normal desktop use as the projected image on the retina will mostly fall outside the eye's viewing angle for optimum comfort.

Certain eyesight impaired people may do better with a close-by 19", but not unlike with a magnifying glass, would only look at a part of the picture.

#12     Jan 23, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

1. Many dualhead cards list a max DVI resolution as 1280x1024 (though their VGA resolution may be higher).

2. To my knowledge, there has been only one 19" LCD at 1600x1200... it was made by Planar.

LCDs should always be run at native resolution where possible... native will have the sharpest image.

#13     Jan 23, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

Also, if you try to run at greater than native resolution it's likely (a) won't work... computer won't allow it to display, (b) image will be less sharp, or (c) you may damage the monitor.

#14     Jan 23, 2006
  5. b1tr0t

b1tr0t

The first few dual-DVI products I found at NewEgg offer a max res of 2048x1536. I'm running a pair of 2405 FPWs on some random 18-month old apple compatible card in my PowerMac without trouble. The DVI port in my 3-year old TiBook has no trouble driving 1920x1200 displays, and neither does the DVI in my Vaio A690's docking station.

Iiyama offers a 1600x1200 19" LCDs. AFAIK, they don't own their own foundry, so tehre are probably several other monitors that use the same OEM panel. As you correctly state in your last email, it is the native resolution of a panel that matters when it comes to resolution. A larger diagonal will make the screen more readable, but will take more desk space.

I use cheap Ikea 104" long dinner tables in my office, so I have plenty of space for large Dell and Apple flat panels. The real limit isn't 1600x1200 or 1920x1200, but the dual-link required by both Apple and Dell's huge 30" displays. You are essentially driving a single panel with two DVI outputs (bundled into one cable, but you don't get any more pixels than if you were using a pair of apple 23s or dell 24s.

If space is at a premium, 17s or even 15s running at 1280x1024 can do the job.

#15     Jan 23, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

I doubt if there are "several"... and at $900+ per copy, how many would buy the Iiyama? There are many 20"+ LCDs for half that price.

#16     Jan 23, 2006
  7. WD40

WD40

it is true that only a handful of manufacturers make the LCD panel, but the electronics that drive the display are made by different people. go and compare, you will see the difference money makes.

also...

1. make sure you get the 3 yrs warranty. it is way too expensive to repair a defective panel.

2. make sure you ask for zero dead pixel. note that each pixel is make up of 3 sub-pixels. insist on having zero dead sub-pixel !!! if you can check the panel at the store, have the computer to display all the primary and complementary colours one by one. (you can use powerpoint to make a slideset on the spot.)

3. make sure you migrate to DVI. it is a waste of money to use VGA on LCD. All the 19" should be on DVI by now, but some of the 17" have a psuedo-DVI... i.e. it has a converter inside that take your DVI signal and convert it back to VGA.

4. get a good display card...

#17     Jan 25, 2006
  8. WD40

WD40

I noticed there are high-aspect ratio LCD on the market now. Has anybody got them? What do you think?

#18     Jan 25, 2006
  9. lojze

lojze

I have two monitors, but I sometimes find two is too little. Unfortunately I don't have much more place on the desk to install another.

#19     Jan 25, 2006
  10. When ever I walk past the sony store I always have to ask what the projectors are worth. Your still looking at $3000 but would it be great to have a four feet by four feet screen.

#20     Jan 25, 2006