What salary would it take for you to quit this?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by midlifeguy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. $135k base, 15-20% year end bonus
    BlackBerry/Cellphone
    Matching 401k
    Pension
    100% Health Coverage
    Tutition Reembursement
    Car service home after 9
    Internet service at home
    Laptop w/Verizon EVDO

#51     Nov 18, 2006
  2. IM brand new to this forum..found it on a google search.

I quit my job $250k yr to trade for a living back in May.

Been swing trading for years and doing quite well...been studying day trading and wanting to make this move for years.

So far I am making almost 50% more per month than I made 'working'. I only trade the morning and I call it a day once lunch hits at noon ( 9am cali time) so basically i have my entire day free.

Having started in May I got to pay my dues during that pullback and I didnt find playing a bear market much different than a bull..though the gains are smaller since we dont have those brilliant 300% run ups !...lol

This truely is the life. Im hoping to learn a lot on this forum.

J

#52     Nov 18, 2006
  3. Welcome to ET, many smart and successful traders post here you will definitly learn a lot enjoy your stay :)

#53     Nov 18, 2006
  4. I don't know probably 15k per month.

#54     Nov 21, 2006
  5. Adobian

Adobian

Can you explain how you paid only 10% ? Thanks.

#55     Nov 21, 2006
  6. Adobian

Adobian

Occasionally, we run into somebody who is smarter and luckier than the rest of us. But it simply doesn't mean everyone should quit their day job to make it big. :)
    If it's that easy, noone works at all. (we wouldn't even have computers or internet or financial markets to trade.

#56     Nov 21, 2006
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

[​IMG]

#57     Nov 21, 2006
  8. ER9

ER9

havn't read through all of this post to find out your decision but the way i see it is that you've already proven you have the skills to fall back on trading and earn a living from it. if you beleive that true...i would take the salary job and make as much $$$ as i could socking away as much as possible until i burned out and couldn't take it anymore. then i would return to trading with a healthy savings account from the salary.

#58     Nov 21, 2006
  9. When I had a job and was considering going out on my own (pro gambler) I wanted to make 2x the old salary to make up for benefits plus the opportunity cost of losing my former career.

But now that I'm established, I wouldn't go back to a str8 job for 1/2 my income now. I'm too spoiled by the self-employed lifestyle to go back.

Now it would have to be a very attractive offer. 2x my current income with no risk might tempt me.

Traveler

#59     Nov 22, 2006
  10. For me personally I think its a much different situation than most.

I made very good money as a CEO and by the time I left to day trade I had enough 'risk capitol' that I can play for 1 or 2% gains and make big money.

I understand how fortunate I am in that and I dont think most people should quit their career to day trade :)

I do have to say that its pretty easy to make 2% a week...at least it has been over the past few months. Today I caught that tale end ride on ZVUE for a hefty profit. Of course anyone could say that so take it with a grain of salt.

J

#60     Nov 22, 2006