What`s your biggest tradeing blunder?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mwald, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Jaxon

Jaxon

My biggest blunder? I was supposed to sell 1 share of J-com at 610,000 Yen, but instead I sold 610,000 shares at 1 Yen! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#41     Oct 15, 2007
  2. jmoo

jmoo

this is an almost blunder. I had a market order in for 5000 shares of a $20 stock trying to play a newsletter surge. The stock went up 3 points, the market order didn't go off. I scrambled tried to cancel the market order b/c I missed the move and called the desk and they slowly figured out that it was in fact cancelled. I was convinced I'd come in the next day to see it in positions and "the desk" would say sorry you did have a market order in..... Almost a $15k blowup in 10mins.

Lesson learned.... Use limit orders only and they can't f with you as easily.

#42     Oct 16, 2007
  3. 2mnytrdz

2mnytrdz

Yes. Getting married.

#43     Oct 16, 2007
  4. Aisone

Aisone

My biggest trade blunders are always related to:

1) using CIC orders (Cancel If Close :p )

2) forgetting to check the dj headline news feed for 'just breaking' company news.

#44     Oct 16, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Bought a stock on a newsletter tip and the option too, it tanked, I was working at the time and lost 2 weeks pay in a day. I learned not to depend on newsletters from that!!

#45     Oct 16, 2007
  6. Yes I know what you mean. You have not grown up yet, and think you sound clever by acting like a 13 year old comparing penis lengths in the locker room. In actuality, you are pitiful. Does your mommy know what a blunder she made when she had you? You know what I mean :)

#46     Oct 16, 2007
  7. cdowis

cdowis

I use one specific strategy which works well in low volatility markets. Well, the entire market goes into high volty a couple of months ago.

So I'm smart. I don't use the strategy.

Now I'm stupid. I use another strategy designed for high volty markets. After all, it's very popular, and other traders have used it with success. BUT over the past years it has been a loser for me. It just hasn't worked for me.

"Now is my chance to expand my trading skills. I just know that it will work for me now. I can do it."

Anyway, you guessed it.

Two straight losing months, and now I'm back making up the losses.

Lesson: stick with what is profitable, stick with your trading plan. Stay out of the market when it does not suit your plan. If you want to "try something else", paper trade, or something.

#47     Oct 17, 2007