What;s a good monthly % return for day traders?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chipmunk, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

5% to 10% is very reasonable and very doable given your account size.

#11     Aug 29, 2008
  2. and oh .. by the way ... how can you talk about ROI when talking about daytrading ?

ROI means return on investment... you are not investing in anything... you are speculating price change....

#12     Aug 29, 2008
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

If you can keep your losses to around 5 -10 percent monthly, you will be doing extremely well. Thank you for your time.

#13     Aug 29, 2008
    K-Pia likes this.
  4. Dude, if you have 70% winners, assuming your R/R is at least even, then you are one of the best traders around. Go to a 2% risk profile and ramp up size big time (running a risk of ruin scenario with these #'s gives virtually no chance of failure).

if i had a 70% win ratio, i'd make millions every year. I do have this type of ratio paper trading, but unfortunately i hit only about 50% in reality after missed fills, hit stops, etc. Still good enough. I actually only need about 40% to do well. Boy I wish I hit 70%.

#14     Aug 29, 2008
  5. OK thanks guys and girls. We got there.

Cheers. Have a good one.

#15     Aug 29, 2008
  6. yeah got to admit. My method seems only about 45% successful. But as the winners are bigger than the lsoers I come out ahead.

70%+...must be scalping?

#16     Aug 29, 2008
  7. not scalping at all.... using only price action and 2 very well defined setups that, through screen time galore, i managed to filter them in my head and ONLY take the ones that look the best. very few trades/month actually (in the range of 15 - 35)

#17     Aug 29, 2008
  8. see, even with 70% winners with a 1:0.8 risk:reward i'm not thinking of making millions in the market.... everybody serious knows that markets change the way they behave and putting your trust in your strategy and building a long term plan on a strategy is a failing school of thought... instead i prefer investing penny by penny in other vehicles that are far more tangible than the markets.

#18     Aug 29, 2008
  9. Dustin

Dustin

In the world of daytrading and margin, percentages don't matter. That's why it's so hard to get a real response on the topic.

Take a guy who can double his $50k account, vs. a guy who makes $200k on a million dollar buying power account...the $200k guy is more likely to be the better trader even though technically he only made 20% return.

Dollar return is all that matters for daytraders.

#19     Aug 29, 2008
  10. 10% per day for pros. 20% per day for pros is the most I have encountered, over years and years of averages. Percentages are only valid measures in retrospect. How is that for straight?

Newbies, do not base your system on a percentage. If you stretch to get more than the market is willing to give you, you will become the greater fool, and you will be crucified.

Success.

#20     Aug 29, 2008