What risk management mistakes did Victor Niederhoffer make to blow up a few times?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by helpme_please, Aug 8, 2015.

1. I guess for the same reason he's supposed to respond to the demands and threats of endless anonymous trolls and h8ers who provide no content of value themselves...

#31     Aug 10, 2015
    Gynesis likes this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

in a previous thread he was bragging about syke's performance and his personal relationship with sykes.

#32     Aug 10, 2015

3. Thanks Debit. Let this be a lesson to readers, lots of anonymous trolls on this site write as if they are authorities since they get no respect in real life--- but when they are called out on their words, the excuses start and they can't produce.

surf

#33     Aug 10, 2015

4. I did produce his record. Its all public information. Do you really believe( with all his haters) he could get away with the claims? If so, you are more naive than i can imagine.

#34     Aug 10, 2015
  5. zdreg

zdreg

that
    no you did not. you are repeating yourself. I will also repeat myself that one of the tools of a snake oil salesman is to tell people to research on the internet. if you cannot post a COPY of the track record for a minimum of 3 years, not some useless link, you are a snake oil salesman. in addition, by repeating the same nonsense, you are a perfect example of a tiger that never changes its stripes.

do I believe that with all those haters sykes can get away with false claims?
    yes, I do. the SEC enforcement is very slow. that is presuming that he is even subject to SEC jurisdiction. the SEC is well known for chasing the horse after it has left the barn.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    #35     Aug 10, 2015
    samuel11 likes this.
  6. Will you leave ET forever if I post 3 years of sykes actual statements? I need to have dome incentive.
    surf

#36     Aug 10, 2015
    Gynesis likes this.
  7. zdreg

zdreg

I will refrain from calling you a snake oil salesman.

#37     Aug 10, 2015
  8. Mtrader

Mtrader

Like other people need an incentive to publish track records?

#38     Aug 12, 2015
  9. Surf, for some reason this brought to mind something I read before. I always wondered why an intelligent man never managed to learn, you yourself say he seemed to understand and know, and yet he didn't. Only he will know for sure what was in his mind, but I did think of this passage.

"There are ways for hedge funds to game the Sharpe Ratio by behaving like undercapitalised insurance companies. For example, a fund can sell options that insure against extreme swings in the market. For months and maybe years, the insurer will collect a steady stream of premiums from these options, delivering consistent, market-beating returns; but one day the extreme market swing will occur, at which point the fund will go bankrupt. Theoretically, unscrupulous hedge-fund managers may deliberately take this sort of hidden risk, calculating that the extreme swings may not arrive for years, allowing them to grow rich in the meantime."

Page 397, More Money Than God by Sebastian Mallaby.

#39     Aug 12, 2015
    Gynesis likes this.
  10. I don't believe outsized, champion style returns are possible without taking big risks.

Its only unscrupulous if your investors are unsophisticated and don't understand the risk. VN ONLY had extremely knowledgable professional investors who invested with him for the potential of huge returns ( which he delivered) along with the high risk.

#40     Aug 12, 2015