what religion does to the mind:Thank God I Was Raped?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Jun 25, 2012.

1. "Wow. I didn’t think I could be shocked anymore by how badly religious belief can twist one’s ideas, but this is pretty appalling. It’s a video where people thank God for horrible things that have happened to them, including one woman who says, “Thank God I was raped. This horrible, terrible thing has happened, and I’m so grateful that it happened, because now I am who I’m supposed to be.” Yikes."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2012/06/21/thank-god-i-was-raped/

2. What atheism does to the mind:

He raped her.

3. Max E.

Max E.

Sounds awfully similar to the story of this liberal activist who justified the actions of her rapists, right after she was finished being raped.....

I dont suppose a person like you who is incapable of free thought would ever come across a story like this one though.....

Amanda Kijera: Liberal Human Rights Activist Raped in Haiti
    Posted on April 23, 2010 by Kievsky

.. and doesn’t learn a thing … blames White men for Haitian oppression.

We are not your weapons – we are women

By Amanda Kijera, civic journalist and Liberal activist in Haiti

Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I started to write what I thought was a very clever editorial about violence against women in Haiti. The case, I believed, was being overstated by women’s organizations in need of additional resources. Ever committed to preserving the dignity of Black men in a world which constantly stereotypes them as violent savages, I viewed this writing as yet one more opportunity to fight “the man” on behalf of my brothers. That night, before I could finish the piece, I was held on a rooftop in Haiti and raped repeatedly by one of the very men who I had spent the bulk of my life advocating for.

It hurt. The experience was almost more than I could bear. I begged him to stop. Afraid he would kill me, I pleaded with him to honor my commitment to Haiti, to him as a brother in the mutual struggle for an end to our common oppression, but to no avail. He didn’t care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. (he didn’t see her angel halo, Ed.) He told me to shut up, and then slapped me in the face. Overpowered, I gave up fighting halfway through the night.

Accepting the helplessness of my situation, I chucked aside the Haiti bracelet I had worn so proudly for over a year, along with it, my dreams of human liberation. Someone, I told myself, would always be bigger and stronger than me. As a woman, my place in life had been ascribed from birth. A Chinese proverb says that “women are like the grass, meant to be stepped on.” The thought comforted me at the same time that it made me cringe.

A dangerous thought. Others like it have derailed movements, discouraged consciousness and retarded progress for centuries. To accept it as truth signals the beginning of the end of a person–or community’s–life and ability to self-love. Resignation means inertia, and for the past two weeks I have inhabited its innards. My neighbors here include women from all over the world, but it’s the women of African descent, and particularly Haitian women, who move me to write now.

Truly, I have witnessed as a journalist and human rights advocate the many injustices inflicted upon Black men in this world. The pain, trauma and rage born of exploitation are terrors that I have grappled with every day of my life. They make one want to strike back, to fight rabidly for what is left of their personal dignity in the wake of such things. Black men have every right to the anger they feel in response to their position in the global hierarchy, but their anger is misdirected.

Women are not the source of their oppression; oppressive policies and the as-yet unaddressed white patriarchy which still dominates the global stage are. Because women–and particularly women of color–are forced to bear the brunt of the Black male response to the Black male plight, the international community and those nations who have benefitted from the oppression of colonized peoples have a responsibility to provide women with the protection that they need.

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/20...liberal-human-rights-activist-raped-in-haiti/

4. Ricter

Ricter

Can't quite recall but I think this process is called by psychologists, displacement.

5. Max E.

Max E.

I think the more appropriate label would be "Stockholm syndrome"

6. Ricter

Ricter

No, not the same, the emotional response pertains to a third entity.

7. What if the "horrible" event has a positive future outcome on a persons life. They want to tell the world, it's understandable they might credit "God".

8. How about this, for example.

A child is the victim of abuse is put up for adoption becomes adopted and that child grows up to be a wonderfull daughter/son, a productive citizen, and the adopted parent(s) feel guilty for the trauma the child had to endure before removal from birth parents.

The adopted parents then say "Thanks God that kid was abused or he/she wouldn't have been part of our life.

And the child feels the same way.

Fate does not have to equal religion or God or something heavnly or divine but who do you thank?

9. I have heard this line of thought many times in AA and NA meetings. Goes along the lines of, I had to suffer the misery of the past to get to where I'm at today. This assumes where you're at today is a better place. God works in mysterious ways kind of thinking. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand why they think what they're thinking. It's a coping mechanism used in an attempt to make sense of the horror of it all.

10. Ricter

Ricter

Well said, but don't you think adopting a lifelong hatred of men or "blacks" or righties is a good coping mechanism? ; )

#10     Jun 25, 2012