What really happened with BATS execution?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Quickless, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Options12

Options12 Guest

Good point.

It's all so similar to the flash crash reports that I am wondering if this attack could have occurred on another exchange post-flash crash or only at BATS due to bad circuit-breaker logic.

http://www.minyanville.com/business...g-wonderland/6/30/2010/id/28982#ixzz1qzCyL2M6

But ISO trades can also be used for more nefarious predatory trading tactics such as combining ISO with short selling to suck liquidity out of an illiquid/troubled market or security, or fine-tuning an attack on a known weak hand or anticipated liquidation.

Both the NASDAQ and NASDAQ-BATS declared self-help against NYSE-ARCA in the minutes preceding the flash crash. Was that the equivalent of “blood in the water” alerting predators of weakness?

#31     Apr 3, 2012
  2. If there's not a lot of strength on the bid side, then why would anyone post there?

Just wait, and buy later, at a lower price.

If there's no interest in a product at a store, come back later when it's on sale.

No conspiracy.

#32     Apr 3, 2012
  3. I doubt it was anything coordinated. Just a bunch of good old boys ready to get shorties with 50 cals the new market couldn't possibly have handled.

#33     Apr 4, 2012
  4. The other problem is that I've never heard of such investigations, and I believe they probably would have publicly announced this rather than blaming software.

#34     Apr 4, 2012