What programs are you using to compile your JOURNAL ??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Detonator, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I have set up a Gmail account and I email my chart images and notes to that account every couple of days. I give each day a headline that talks about something interesting I noticed or something new I tried.

Using this system, all my charts and notes are automatically dated correctly and I can update the jounal from anywhere.

And if my computer crashes and I lose my hard drive. My jounal is safe and sound.

Runningbear

#11     Apr 20, 2005
  2. slacker

slacker

I use Excel with a new file for each month.

I use the worksheet tabs at the bottom of the page for days of the month.

The first tab is a summary of the month's activity. The summary page shows equity curves of each account and all activity at a glance.

The weekend days are used for planning the week ahead.

I can copy and paste from Tradestation and InterfactiveBroker statements without any problem at the end of each day. I also paste screen shots showing all trades into each day's page.

Everything takes me only a few minutes at the beginning of the month to organize a new month. The summary page with formulas, and 'day' page templates are copied from the previous month.

The summary displays and calculations are for the most part copied from "TradingRisk: Enhanced Profitability through Risk Control" by Grant. If you are looking for an approach to record keeping as well as risk control it is not a bad place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-2151502-2105705?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Very low tech, but very efficient. There are a few commercial 'Trade Journal' type of applications that I have tried in the past but I like Excel a lot better. It can be as simple or as complicated as you need it to be.

Good luck!

#12     Apr 20, 2005
  3. slacker

slacker

Hi Runningbear,

I like my gmail, but it may not be the best place to save secure info like account information.

You might consider http://www.hushmail.com/ they offer the ability to apply 2048 bit encryption to any message using PGP. Bottom line is that nobody is going to get to your info, message text, or attachments enroute or when saved on their server without your private key.

There is also a PGP plug-in to outlook express that makes it very easy to encrypt a file and send it to your email account (gmail account will probably work fine with encrypted attachments). You can then download your attachment with the same plug-in using Outlook express and open using PGP. I have used this for exchanging business plans with partners and it works great.

http://www.bytefusion.com/products/ens/cryptoanywhere/microsoftoutlookexpressplug.htm

Just a thought as I read your message.

Good luck,

#13     Apr 20, 2005
  4. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Did anyone try to use Microsofts Onenote 2003 to keep a Journal?

The only drawback I see, it does not offer tables like Word does. They can be included as pictures of course.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#14     Apr 24, 2005
  5. Has anybody used TraderBrain.com? It looks and sounds like a great tool but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

#15     May 16, 2005