What profession did you come from?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by EMini-Player, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Therapist.

I was a total failure. As is obvious.

The Doc

#41     Jul 16, 2003
  2. Tech Support.

A man's character is his fate
    - Heraclitus

#42     Jul 16, 2003
  3. 777, that statement cannot be more true:D

Oddiduro--Nursing:) :mad:

#43     Jul 16, 2003
  4. First "Business" with 5 (buying kids' junk and selling it for more)

First Stock Purchase with 8 (Coca-Cola LOL - well it sort of doubled after 2 years).

Hopeless computer fanatic and full-time student ever since the age of 9.

Another business (besides many less interesting ones) (at 11) was to employ friends to do the newspaper carry-out curriculum. I realized that it was too much work taking them out myself - Plus I could only do 1,500 in a day or so. I rang a major supermarket chain in the shire to carry out "adware" for them in my hometown, claiming they would have increased turnover for sure. The manager didn't know how I was gonna do it but thought he'd give it a shot. After all, I couldn't just dump the lot somewhere (Heavy environmental protection penalty! -Since there were rather heavy environmental protection laws in Germany already 10 years ago - I'm sure in another 75-120 years these ideas will even percoloate through to the american "penicillin & plastic" waste-land society lol).

Well I managed to increase the lot gradually to over 9,000 units, employing half a dozen friends for half the money I got for the job, but they were happy to get quite a bit more than the local shop gave them (and me previously). We were all happy. And I, (making several hundred $ per month!) was RICH! This, to me, was the true idea of capitalism. Everybody happy...

And I never downsized anyone, either! :p

Computer "consultant" at 12-13, helping people with simple hacks to their major problems. As much as ppl hate computer problems - they love ppl who can fix them - hehe. Installed the network system and student surveillance modules in our highschool in Germany with 15. I also quite often took over teaching computer science on behalf of our teachers.
    Later, I would set up computer networks (win) overseas, like in Istanbul (Turkey).

I was a computer-freak till about 19, when I went into Jewellery Design and then Trading. I still love computers and spend lots of time with them (as we all do) but I'd definitely love to refresh i.e. my programming/hacking skills etc - They're pretty lame these days :p -It's just that I realized that computers wouldn't get me the kind of freedom I wanted - Unless I started my own software business.

A few other jobs I did in my life: Diving Instructor, Jewellery Salesman, Turkish Everything Salesman (in Turkey - Those waterpipes make our bongs look pretty ridiculous folks!!!), Waiter and Barman (Overseas and eventually here in Australia in the very place I'm living now! - My last "shit-kicker" job!)

Then I went in Jewellery Design & Manufacture full-time. Built the business, but during that phase already played the VSX (VirtualStockExchange) with real stock quotes.
    Eventually, my family got angry because I repeateadly made it to the world-top (of around 200k people) in the VSX (LOL I showed them my "#1 Ranking print-outs", so I had to start doing some real trading.

It took off as a real passion, and coinciding with the global economy downturn, which also made Designer Jewellery less profitable (ppl have no money) I eventually made the jump to Trading full-time. I've still got the Jewellery Business, though. It's selling even while I'm not there!

I'd heavily recommend to have another income source to survive, so you don't have the pressure to live off your trading account. This is, from a psychological point of view, vital to trading success - Unless you're a pretty seasoned trader, of course.

Today, I watch the US, Australian, Hong Kong, Japanese and European markets, depending on time of day. But I trade mainly the S&P500 electronic mini contract (ES), NQ and YM (depending on who's got the best setup at the time). Specialization is very good indeed - But if you're a good trader, you should be able to trade any market (and not necessarily do so!)

I trade some Nasdaq stocks, but essentially I prefer the safety and liquidity of futures. Only the latest unexplained spikes on the futures worry me a bit. But here we go...

Here are a few creeds, rules and experiences of mine that might help some of you:

1. First, I am very happy to have gotten out of the illusion of the "benefits of wealth" already before I got into it (most ppl do when they leave school and end up chasing material for the rest of their lives - consumer society sets it up that way don't worry lol).

I realized: Materialism sucks. It doesn't make me happy. I try to have as little stuff as possible. What I already have is enough for albatrosses around my neck.

2. Good tools are the only thing you should never hesitate to spend money on. They save you time and headaches.

3. Besides that, the only non-utilitarian possessions I would spend money on are pieces of art. You can never go wrong with art. Paintings, drawings, sculptures, anything. If it talks to you - Buy it. It'll pay for itself! At a recent exhibition, I bought the largest and most expensive painting - Never regretted it! Nor did any of my visitors ;)

Also, I have a gemstone collection. This is sort of a "business asset" as a Jewellery Designer, so no choice here.
    Regardless of value, after trading all day, it is an immense pleasure to look at a sparkling, perfect, 5-carat, finest Royal Blue Ceylon Sapphire. Trust me. :D

4. Any other assets are in my trading acounts or in my bed :)

5. Oh - And another VITAL rule: School education is not there to make you successful in life. It's there to make you suitable to work for other (smarter) people in order to make them successful. It's very well set up that way. Never forget it.
    A few years ago, 8 in 10 of the richest ppl in the world were school drop-outs (including Bill Gates, Robson Walton, etc etc)

(How they can walk around without scary black helmets and respiratory devices I don't comprehend, but that's another story...)

Have Fun Folks!
    Sincerely,
    ~The Scientist

#44     Jul 16, 2003
  5. I think more interesting that just what ppl did before they started trading would be to add how they actually got into trading - What moved them?

It'd be fun to hear some inspiring stories folks!

~The Scientist

#45     Jul 16, 2003
  6. LMAO :D

What a spot-on assessment. Such deeply true words of wisdom my brother. May you be blessed with good luck, long life and prosperity!

~The Scientist

#46     Jul 16, 2003
  7. gnome

gnome

Bowler!

#47     Jul 16, 2003
  8. Berliner

Berliner

East german spy. Fall of Berlin wall kind of outplaced me.

#48     Jul 16, 2003
  9. Counselor for the Suicide Hotline.

Got fired - had a bad track record.

:D

#49     Jul 16, 2003
  10. there you have it folks profound life philosophy from 20 year old punk trader wannabes that make pretty ear rings .. only on ET!

LMAO! :D

#50     Jul 16, 2003