What products do you trade ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HATEtheRisk, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Actually, I did last spring when I was working as a prop trader. It was a very simple piece of code that went long after a green candle and held for 2.5 candles. Tested with 5 years of data on stocks randomly selected from the nasdaq exchange.

Can you say, "too good to be true?!!!"

#51     Jan 27, 2012
  2. Using candles and curve fitting that way doesn't work, but this was a 2 year, not 5 year backtest I'm referring to.

Futures are a lot more difficult to find systems for. Stocks introduce too much randomness than their derivative indices.

#52     Jan 27, 2012
  3. Beau,

This is a quote from you from the thread that Atticus was so kind to reference.

You are a very disturbed young man. You need to get help. I am not trying to mean. I am not trying to be insulting. I am trying to be kind so that you won't throw away your life.

Please, get some help.

#53     Jan 27, 2012
  4. What makes you think I haven't (gotten help)?

I've gotten help for over 10 years now, and I'm not 30.

The models I have are really good, that's all I'm saying.

I like systematic trading than discretionary. Discretionary trading leads to overtrading in addition to poor risk management and losses because there's no discipline unless you've traded the market or been a financial advisor for at least a couple years.

I would rather see somebody lose systematically than risk too much on their gut instinct or hunches.

Systematic rules that can be coded will always lead to better risk management, even if in the short run that might lead to periods of underperformance.

#54     Jan 27, 2012
  5. Beau, a person who thinks it appropriate to write in a public forum,"SHUT THE FUCK UP! SHUT THE FUCKUP! SHUT THE FUCK UP!", has a serious psychological disorder. You have some extreme ego, anger and obsessive issues. You will lose everything you've got because you're incapable of assuming personal responsibility. This is not a new quote; it is only a couple of months old. This is a very recent psychological issue for you.

Please, for your own sake, before you completely throw away your life, get some help.

#55     Jan 27, 2012
  6. Whatever, bhardy. If you're around the incessant negativity on elitetrader for a long time, you'll see it's not so unusual to read or write comments like that, especially if you've undergone space euphoria you typically notice in masters of the universe who've reached so many people online or from television appearances that the feedback you can get and I do get from posting really does eventually give you a physical manifestation similar to feeling like an omniscient god.

There are a lot more haters on this forum than well-wishers. Thinking I take comments personally or that they effect my trading isn't true, because I've developed quantitative rules just so I don't have to deal with emotional issues when I'm trading.

Having plans to make a billion dollars is much different than wishing you could make a billion dollars. I would rather pursue that than waste time at dead-end jobs that block any advancement out of petty seniority than merit based performance.

Generally whenever I hear these criticisms I'm usually thinking they don't understand what it's like to have plans for enterprise like that. It's much different having the plans and implementing them, than wishing for money without work.

This is work. Trading's work, and if you don't put in screen time and coding it'll never work out for you.

I put the time in you need, have 3 systems, and that's all I need because they are extremely scalable.

#56     Jan 27, 2012
  7. Sorry, pet peeve, but stocks are the derivatives in your example, not the indices.

#57     Jan 27, 2012
  8. Beau, you're down nearly 15% for the month on Covestor. Whatever model you're applying isn't working, period.

#58     Jan 27, 2012
  9. Beau, you have bought into a system that promises you big bucks. In exchange, you are required to pay a high fee to get the full benefit of that system. You are attempting to use your simple minor in math to argue that you are an expert. Where I come from, an economics degree precludes a minor in math. In other words, the math you get in your economics is equal or greater than that minor in math. So, I am honestly not very impressed with your supposed math skills. Honestly, I think I have more math than you by ALOT! So please, cut this big shot crap.

A person who has a billion dollar system shouldn't need to sell his system to other people, like you. He should need only to make the money and walk away. If he is doing this selling to generate capital, then there is little guarentee his system actually works with large sums of money. In fact, he would be better off to simply be patient and allow his system to work, compouding the equity he currently has over a period of a couple of years.

Do you realize that a system that generates several million out of only $30,000, takes only slight longer if you are starting with only $300? I too can create several million in a few years if I compound at a rate of 1%/day. How hard is it to generate $3/day on that $300 with XAU/USD. Actually, it is VERY VERY VERY easy. I keep getting nailed by my own impatience and greed!!! I want more, more quickly!

#59     Jan 27, 2012
  10. Stock traders are failing to represent here. I guess the bots wiped all the stock traders out.

I trade all the large cap stocks, and that's it. No futures, no options, no nothing. Just stocks.

#60     Jan 27, 2012