What Processes really need to be running ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joab, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Joab

Joab

Recently my computer started making a clicking sound every 30 seconds or so (sounds like a refresh) ... it's driving me cookoo.

I hit cntrl/alt/del and brought up the programs tab and only see 2 and doubt it's them but under the processes tab there a 30 running. :mad:

What do I need and how do i get rid of those that I don't. ?

Thanks

2. You don´t get rid of them, these are system programs or programs running in the background like virus protection. What you should look at is CPU usage in the processes tab, even with charting running etc the system Idle process should be around 80 - 90%.

First thing to do is a virus scan then run ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ its free and cleans up your PC.

3. Joab, 30 processes? Lucky you. I've seen people with 64 (and more) processes on their computer...

On a serious note, this is what I'd recommend.

1. MajorGeeks Malware Removal Guide

An outstanding, spot-on piece of work. You need to do steps 1-9 just once, then practice (it's easy) what's in step 10. As mentioned there, support is readily available on that forum, if you ever need it.

2. Lots of detailed resources online for identifying and streamlining all the processes running under Windows you could ever encounter. Here's a decent, short-n-sweet cheat sheet, if you don't want to make a federal case out of this:

Windows XP Pro - Services Configuration

3. More generally, you might want to take a look at some of the good stuff at TweakXP.

Enjoy your long holiday weekend. ;)

4. ktm

ktm

Also check out processlibrary.com

5. Joab

Joab

thanks guys :)

6. Joab

Joab

I just did all of the geek stuff (see above) ... lol

Everything came out good but during a virus scan I found this any comments ????

Begin scan in 'C:\'
    C:\hiberfil.sys
    [WARNING] The file could not be opened!
    C:\pagefile.sys
    [WARNING] The file could not be opened!

7. Not to worry. Those are your system hibernation mode and virtual memory files.

8. lar

lar