What, precisely, is a 'depression?'

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Dec 11, 2008.

1. A recession is when your neighbor gets laid off. A depression is when YOU get laid off.:eek:

#21     Dec 11, 2008
  2. TGregg

TGregg

#22     Dec 11, 2008
  3. Its already a Depression 2.0 do you want to wait for the clowns in Washington, London or Brussels to tell us its a depression ? For me the depression was when l looked at the books Monoline Insurers last year before l raped them, get yourself some good data source like CapitalIQ or Bloomberg and u will see what sort of sh!t the average company is !!! You ain't seen nothing yet boys and gals !

P.S. I voted permabear on the other thread :D

#23     Dec 11, 2008
  4. nothing close to a Depression at this moment. I deal with Private Manufactures on a daily basis. Some are struggling but the Majority are making money and a hell of a lot are making record quarters.

Once again, Sheeople will follow the Liberal Media to the edge of the cliff.

The majority of Industries that are laying off, grew to much to fast with a bunch of mindless workers who produced NOTHING!

The Financial Industry is a joke. That industry grew the fasted from 01 to 07, upon a house of cards. They will trim 50% plus.

The Private Sector is moven and groovn' because they are not subjected to the "Crooks" on the STreet who cause a solid company to loose half of its capital by pushing "Shares" to all time lows.

Plenty of money being made right now but the Clowns and Fools will wonder the street, unemployed for decades.

#24     Dec 11, 2008
  5. I agree, beside if people can't make it within 7 years on Wallstreets, they should be fired and save up some space for next round of newbies out from school.

#25     Dec 11, 2008
  6. Recessions mark a downward swing in the curve of the business cycle and are caused by a disequilibrium between supply and demand. If a recession continues long enough, it can turn into a depression. It is difficult to say at what point the two merge. But this is definitely not a depression, the situation will find bottom soon.

#26     Dec 11, 2008
  7. Akemi

Akemi

The Business Cycle Dating Committee (BCDC) at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) provides a better way to find out if there is a recession is taking place. They determine the amount of business activity in the economy by looking at things like employment, industrial production, real income and wholesale-retail sales. They define a recession as the time when business activity has reached its peak and starts to fall until the time when business activity bottoms out. By this definition, the average recession lasts about a year.
    In this case we are taking into account some economic indicators to have a better concept of recession

#27     Dec 11, 2008
  8. Before the 1930's all economic downturns were called "depressions". After the 1930's depressions that were not as deep as the Great Depression were called "recessions" to distinguish them from the Great Depression because the depth and length of the Great Depression made it the mother of all depressions.

It's really just a matter of semantics. I'm not aware that there are any <i>formal</i> economic standards to distinguish between recession and depression. I think it's just a matter of cultural understanding that anything that is not as bad as the Great Depression is a recession.

#28     Dec 12, 2008
  9. eagle

eagle

In short sentence defined by Cambridge Dictionary:

Depression

A period in which there is very little business activity and not many jobs:
    The stock market crash marked the start of a severe depression.

#29     Dec 12, 2008