What other careers are there?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by michael21, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Blue Turtle-That was probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Truly a dumbass comment. People in Med schools are so dumb right? They spend YEARS not making money when they could have been swimming in dollar bills from McD. You are truly a moron and I hope you never post again.

#21     Jun 25, 2012
  2. Good one...You were clearly the funny one in school. Loser.

#22     Jun 25, 2012
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Michael, can you tell us what exactly your background is? That would really help.

#23     Jun 25, 2012
  4. Great question Maverick...clearly someone with a brain. I graduated college in '09. I have worked for my father in investments and insurance part time for like 5-6 years and full time sales for 1.5 years...I am a good people person but I refuse to cold call because it simply doesn't work. I am completely self-taught when it comes to trading so being breakeven after 18 months is actually very good...I am just getting impatient and would like to start making money so instead of forcing things with trading, I am considering alternatives for now and maybe come back to trading when I can do it right, nice and slow.

#24     Jun 25, 2012
  5. I was thinking the same thing. If you have a magnetic personality and know your product (you have a year of trading experience which might help), are a generally likable person who tends to draw people to you, and know what the customers want (a huge edge because most people don't even know what they want)......

Money.

But the first step is to decide what YOU want.

:)

#25     Jun 25, 2012
  6. Obvious question: Why not go back to working for daddy?

Not so obvious question: How can you possibly be "breakeven" after 18 months? If your account is exactly where it was 18 months ago after paying commissions and fees, then you're not exactly "breakeven."

I used to play poker in college with guys who claimed they were "breakeven" at the end of the night after they took into account the chips and free beer they consumed while playing.

#26     Jun 25, 2012
  7. A. because I'm not longer an assistant...I'm not looking to take money from HIS pocket and B. I'm break even after commissions so overall I'm down like $100 net.

#27     Jun 25, 2012
  8. 12 months is a pretty short time to become good at anything. You might want to stick with it longer. There can be a lot easier market conditions compared to what we've had the last 12 months.

#28     Jun 25, 2012
  9. See if you can get your mind to think clearly about this. A trader is interested in what he extracts from the market through his knowledge, skill, and experience. What he extracts is tallied net of what he pays in commissions, fees, software, hardware, electricity, rent, hookers, and blow.

Go back over your records and see how much you actually extracted from trading the past 18 months, exclusive of everything else including commissions. This number should be positive. Now account for your expenses. If your spreadsheet shows you were able to pay for commissions and were down $100 net from other expenses, then show your spreadsheet to your daddy who has a business mind and a light bulb will go off in his head that hasn't turned on in the head of his son.

#29     Jun 25, 2012
  10. What the hell are you talking about?

#30     Jun 25, 2012