What other careers are there?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by michael21, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Michael, in my honest opinion, trading and finance do not have a lot in common which is why I asked you why you were looking for another job in finance vs another field. Unless you are a fundamental investor, I'm not sure how trading would make you attractive to getting a job in finance. Maybe if you were more specific with your request. Do you have an education? Do you have any other work experience besides trading?

#11     Jun 25, 2012
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

A agree. I worked at Ameriprise as an in house financial consultant for a while, and it was a different world. Compared to other corporate jobs, it was pretty loose. But compared to trading, it was just another stuffy cubicle job.

If you are one of the few who actually wants to help people rather than just collect their fees, then finance may be for you. Otherwise, figure out what you really want to do and go for it.

#12     Jun 25, 2012
  3. JamesL

JamesL

management, compliance, sales, back office, reconciliation, legal

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Channel/Banking - Finance/New York

there's a shitload of various jobs available that are not trading related but would not be that much of a lateral move - you would still have to work for it and depending on your education, get more of it

#13     Jun 25, 2012
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Most traders I know who leave trading tend to go into sales. It has the same upside call option that trading has. Lifestyles are pretty similar in that it's feast or famine. Not much in requirements needed to go into sales as it's eat what you kill. And most traders rather be out on the road vs a stuffy cubicle.

But without knowing anything about you, it's impossible to answer this question.

#14     Jun 25, 2012
  5. emg

emg

#15     Jun 25, 2012
  6. emg

emg

Think about this, if are a cpa for 5 years and good with NUMBERS, just maybe,

just maybe

your trading's RISK MANAGEMENT, will improve.

HIGHER EDUCATION!

#16     Jun 25, 2012
  7. In fairness, it wasn't a very good question. Not the least of which is that trading != finance, so it's pretty unclear what you're even looking for.

If you had provided details on interests, aptitudes, and education/training, you would be more likely to receive useful replies.

#17     Jun 25, 2012
  8. After my little comment, I got exactly what I wanted. Suggestions of other professions and probing questions, not just stupidity.

#18     Jun 25, 2012
  9. +1

#19     Jun 25, 2012
  10. Since you failed at trading, it probably makes sense to get out of finance entirely. you made less than someone at McD's, so it's best to make sure you have a college degree and do something else.

90% of traders lose, they just lose!!!!

when teachers told you that you were special, they didn't mean at trading.

gl

#20     Jun 25, 2012