What Options book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Options' started by The_Krakenite, Sep 6, 2021.

1. taowave

taowave

You just stated precisely why most Momo guys don't touch options...Value plays are a different story...

Lmk what you think of "Trading Volatility"..

#51     Sep 10, 2021
    zghorner likes this.
  2. zghorner

zghorner

Its funny you say that the last strategy I employed was doing exactly this. Buying highest gamma strike (which is pretty much always ATM) either SPY calls or VIX puts depending on premium/DTE, how S&P opened, etc...basically odds are in my favor simply because most of the time it goes up.

Its a viable strategy and i made money doing it considering its nothing for those options to move 50% in a day...just still get the feeling that it is gambling...and I have gambled away too much money doing this and looking for better ways to trade.

#52     Sep 10, 2021
  3. Well, like I said...the Devil is in the details...experience, process, mindset, understanding, expectations, approach and skill.
    For some, probably many,...it can be considered nothing more than just gambling. Different people see different things.

Don't kid yourself. We're All gambling, at the end of the day. Less risky people, experience less rewards. While more risky people, can get handsomely paid for their risk, and skill.

#53     Sep 10, 2021
  4. zghorner

zghorner

That’s true. It’s only gambling to me because I really don’t feel like I know what I’m doing even after two years…I don’t have the experience or the mindset/positive expectation.

#54     Sep 10, 2021
  5. taowave

taowave

Two years is when you are just good enough to be dangerous..

There are some really sharp guys on this board who are exceedingly generous sharing their knowledge...you probably know who they are..you will gain more from them than most books

If you are halfway decent directionally,you are way ahead of the game.At some point I would take a look at ORATS and decide for yourself if trading options directionally offers any edge over trading the underlying...

#55     Sep 10, 2021
    zghorner likes this.
  6. zghorner

zghorner

Reading through Atticus’ old journals lately taking notes…great reminder of how I absolutely don’t know shit lol

#56     Sep 10, 2021
    yc47ib and taowave like this.
  7. I run a blog -weekly trades though I've day traded options. Firs ttrade was in 1999 and I'm still here, paying the bills.

#57     Sep 11, 2021
  8. You've been day trading options since 1999...and you're still here paying the bills? If I understood you correctly,
    I would expect someone like that to be a millionaire, many times over, already.

No offense, but you are a dumb student, learner, observer of nature. Just calling it like it is; the reality of it.
    A new intelligent, bright, trader should generally be somewhat consistently profitable after a couple of years of solid learning, understanding and observing the market. And his own psychology and mentality and philosophy.

If all that is covered...the beauty of consistent compounding and growth should make someone reach their treasure land, relatively quickly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    #58     Sep 11, 2021
  9. To be fair, didn't famous traders like Neiderhoffer go through this Riches-to-Rags story more than once? At his investor's expense...

#59     Sep 11, 2021
  10. taowave

taowave

Impressive..You can judge someone's net worth,success from a simple "still here ,paying the bills"??

#60     Sep 11, 2021
    zghorner likes this.