What % of traders really make money?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by baggerlord, Jul 5, 2007.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

actually traders are diff, for example he didn't brag at all

#31     Jul 5, 2007
  2. gaj

gaj

well, there are some ways of trading that are general, but work, and can be taught, and there are enough people using them...for example, buy a strong stock after it pulls back with a tight stop.

and i can teach that all day long (and have, to some) in different time frames. but the system i use - because i get impatient with doing the above way and don't maximize my gains as i should - isn't anything like that.

i have a couple different trading setups that i use, and although i've discussed them a little on here, i don't (and won't) teach them to others. if too many people started trading using my indicators and methods, i either couldn't put on size, or my win % would go down, or both.

so i keep it to myself, and let blowhards try to call perfect tops and brag about how right they are with their 100 shares or sideline cheerleading. kinda like the person who HAS to show you their bluffs, or their 'great' laydowns on the 1c/2c games; i'd rather just take the chips, and throw my cards in the muck.

oh, since you asked for success story - i've been trading for 8 years now (in august). i've had + years all but one, am consistently hard on myself for making mistakes. i am FAR from being a great trader or even a very good one, and just keep trying to trade well each day. i've got a family (wife also works), but i enjoy what i do, have the freedom to do what i want, can enjoy dinners out, and know that if i continue to trade well - even in my only little niche world, where i'm not making big bucks most days - i can get almost anything i realistically want. and that's pretty nice.

#32     Jul 5, 2007
  3. Risk and portfolio management are absolutely key! I used to think timing was the key -- it isn't. No one can time the market perfectly, and consistently but if you have strong risk and portfolio management skills timing isn't as important.

#33     Jul 5, 2007
  4. the key is making money

a lot of people have difficulty with just that single step

#34     Jul 5, 2007
  5. insert

insert

Stock turder, you are amazing

you are soo amazing, I wish you would put yourself on organ donor list and then go sky dive a lot.

#35     Jul 5, 2007
  6. andread

andread

True, but it wasn't directed to you. It was directed to the nice guy who called you a stupid punk for no reason. That was what his post looked to me.
    I guess I wasn't clear enough

#36     Jul 6, 2007
  7. No your not. You announced on this board last week that you dont trade at all.

#37     Jul 6, 2007
  8. mde2004

mde2004

5% of tradrs mak monay. The rest ar liyers.

#38     Jul 6, 2007
  9. Believe the statement above. It is possible to make money if you think less and act more.All the analysis in the wolrd will not make you a good trader but being consistant and suffering througha drawdown or two I think will.

People over think just get a simple system and work to make it your own then apply it over and over again.

I heard a very true staemtn awhile ago and that was think less about the money you hope to make and simply concentrate on executng your system consistantly and the money will take care of itself

#39     Jul 6, 2007
  10. azukar

azukar

I've yet to meet a successful trader who is the least bit arrogant. The same can't be said for, um, aspiring traders.

#40     Jul 8, 2007