What makes you angry when you trade?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Grantx, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Cswim63

Cswim63

It is USD index in forex. Thanks I'll check out Ben. I could be more disciplined about posting, but it's a start. As far as getting mad at your self for being undisciplined, yeah we've all done that. But I still say it's about trying to head it off at the pass before it gets there. And obviously that's a personal thing. But I have sort of learned to accept it as part of being a discretionary trader.

#51     Sep 18, 2017
  2. Cswim63

Cswim63

That's pretty cool. Isn't that what math is? An attempt to model reality?

#52     Sep 18, 2017
  3. Grantx

Grantx

If you like that then check out Chaos game. It blew my mind and was a great leap forward in my understanding of market behaviour.
    Basically random is random until you introduce restrictions:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_game

Also, look at the Sierpinski triangle:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpinski_triangle

When you understand it you wont be bothered anymore by institutional traders or stop hunting or market manipulation or the myriad of other excuses people bother themselves with.... You will be playing the fractal. No one can escape it not matter how big the fund is. Its a beautiful thing :)

Read it and go meditate on this subject. You wont look at another blade of grass, or indeed any living thing the same again. You will be in awe wherever you look :D

#53     Sep 18, 2017
    Sprout and vanzandt like this.
  4. Cswim63

Cswim63

Ok. Right now I'm having a Toyota Camry moment. Which means I'm ready to give up my Mercedes diesel addiction. Well, there's always hope.

#54     Sep 18, 2017
  5. Simples

Simples

Anger is an emotion. It is neither good or bad. As with everything else, judgement is in the eye of the beholder.
    However, people might have patterns where certain emotions start to dictate their thoughts and behaviour.
    Angry thoughts may increase angry behaviour and anger.
    Angry behaviour may increase angry thoughts and anger.
    It's not just a vicious cycle, but vicious bi-directional feedback-loops.

As one grow and mature, you may discover that anger, and all emotions, can be channeled into positive thoughts and actions.
    Positive thoughts come from Knowledge (examples).
    Positive actions stem from cultivating Wisdom (experience).

This means that if something makes you angry, that's perfectly OK.
    If you then can think or do something that reflects what you can do constructively about it, you are free to give up (you've done everything you can) - dissipating the anger.

Yoga, breathing exercises, meditation and volunteer work has showed me much about life that sidesteps conventional victim mentality and patterns.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    #55     Sep 21, 2017
    Grantx and Cswim63 like this.
  6. It really pisses me off when I open a deal and the price starts moving in opposite direction. It's like it was waiting for me)

#56     Sep 21, 2017
  7. Cswim63

Cswim63

Said every trader

#57     Sep 21, 2017
  8. themickey

themickey

Grantx doesn't come across on his ET postings as an angry person, I think he has good control.
    I'm enjoying his very reasoned postings.

Pressure doesn't normally cause me to react, but frustration does. Frustration in terms of stupidity. Probably my Dutch heritage, I like to plan things and stupidity is often the result of thoughtlessness.

Pressure is how I'm feeling right now with a lot of money sitting in several gold positions while gold is tanking big time. I feel calm and have it under contol- my emotions. Holding gold, not exiting yet, bottom today thereabouts is my call.

#58     Sep 21, 2017
    Grantx likes this.
  9. LOL

#59     Sep 21, 2017
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  10. The thing which makes me angry while trade is when I open a deal after complete analysis and suddenly the prices start moving in the opposite direction.

#60     Sep 22, 2017