What makes an obsessive liar tick?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Steelhead, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Good one, aphie... :D

#11     Mar 4, 2004
  2. to try and do my best to make a long story short,recent developments out of town made me wonder why he could say the things he said and thats why i asked you folks....

He and I are the only relatives for our grandmother and he is the medical power of attorney. After a surgury she became
    depressed and struggled to recover. I went to where they are both located and learned .....

My brother had her iv removed which was feeding her nutrients to help her recover, he also told me her condition was terminal

I contacted her doctor because I generally dont believe him and found out she wasnt terminal and my brother insisted to pull the IV,, the doctor also told me my brother simply gave up on her

By the time I interveined she was past the point of no return and is now dead

cdbern, you are right,,, he isnt upstanding

I hope he enjoys his inheritance,, and can sleep tight

:mad:

#12     Mar 4, 2004
  3. people lie to themselves all the time..

whats the big wha hoo all about??

they lie to themselves when they buy that lottery ticket..

when they place that trade..

when they pray to god/buddah/allahy oop..

when they assess their abilities..

when they look in mirror..

when they .. when they...when they ..ad infinitum..

people are hardwired for deception self or otherwise..

lying is built in

lying imparts survival benefits (apparently}
    :-/

#13     Mar 4, 2004
  4. Atta boy :)

#14     Mar 4, 2004
  5. cdbern

cdbern

You could always rock the boat and tell him you're thinking of initiating an investigation into the cause of her death. :)

#15     Mar 4, 2004
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

they can lie all they want; but when looking in the mirror I can assure you they know exactly who they are....

#16     Mar 5, 2004
  7. Do you know where he is? :confused:

#17     Mar 5, 2004
  8. Valued brother nononsense - I'm still alive LOL!

I've had some absolutely undescribable multiple computer (hardware) problems, with multiple faulty boards, blown and leaking motherboard capacitors, faulty replacements even, blown hard drives, windows crazinesses, unbelievable stuff, quite beyond comprehension, which ended up costing me almost 2 weeks of (trading) time and therefore substantial losses by the very definition in a lot of areas in my life, not only trading (starting with hardware things etc, several K are just the beginning, we're not even counting trading fallouts here yet. On the other hand, I also had some time off to do other things for a change... :D

Seriously, though, a friend said to me that's just another lesson life sends you to teach you something. For me that lesson was to invest into massive redundancy in every area. At least I had a ridiculous backup regime already, so no data was lost, which is the #1 thing. I am thinking about getting a few independent servers and an even more disaster-tolerant backup, data control and firewalling regime, so there's no chance for a fallout. At this stage, a couple of days interruption could cost me more than an extra high-end computer, let's not even start thinking about a week or two.

That said though, I had some time time to do other things, and think about the psychology behind my trading and setting new goals, and think about what my real priorities are. All in all, I would say perhaps it wasn't such a bad lesson after all.

As for all the emails & PM's received in the meantime of people, friends, family, ET'ers, etc wondering where I am, whether I've been hired by a prop firm or whether I've gone to work in a London prop arcade - No! None of this happened. Just a plain interruption!

A pre-emptive sorry goes to all those who don't get an email back immediately, I tell you you wouldn't want to look at my inbox, it's hard for me not to just throw it and walk away. I may also delete a multitude of emails or PM's according to priority or whether they're just silly questions or sth like that. My family, friends and best trading friends have absolute priority, sorry.

nononsense, I know there are still a couple of replies to you outstanding, be assured I will reply to your emails ASAP!

Getting things running again (besides trying new X_Trader platform), I commenced trading on DAX & ES last week, with razor-sharp executions and a performance not inferior to that witnessed almost every single day in our chat room 2, 3, and 4 weeks ago, where I called almost every trade I make, from beginning to end, for everyone to follow. And not the tick-scalps by the way, but most of the time 3-15 pts at a time (the very day I came back, I posted a 13pt DAX trade and a 3.75pt ES trade live, total #of posted trades for the day ~30, with a hit rate of 82% counting BE scratches as losers). End of last week was comparatively miserable for me, the first 2 "sober" days in months, a lot of which I wrote about in the "deep depression" thread... This next week, for me, will be spent on getting "back into the groove".

Though, through further research, my approach has become more refined and systematic by now, but overall it's also easier, and more transparent (which would probably be a good reason not to post all my trades anymore). :p

nononsense, an invitation, if you feel like joining and witnessing a select group of serious, high-performance traders (well, sometimes, anyway) to improve the quality of your trading or simply to see what's possible, feel free to tell me and I'll communicate to you the details for getting in.

Anybody else on this forum who considers himself a proficient or respectable enough trader to join our group, can feel free to PM me. But let it be said that 95% of ET'ers will likely NOT qualify, so don't sweat it. Also, lurking / call-picking won't be accepted, so you either contribute, posting your own calls and comments, or fly.

I am also not spending too much time on ET anymore, since main focus now is on the chat room and our trading in general within a smaller, high-quality circle. As I'm filtering out my best friends (within the room etc), this circle is getting even smaller every day.

Yours Respectfully,
    Scientist

#18     Mar 7, 2004
  9. I disagree. Which people lie to themselves all the time, and in which case is it in any way beneficial to survival or living quality for that matter? In none beknownst to me.

Not only is lying to others a waste of time (since it either distorts or heightens their expectations which you then cannot fulfil), but particularly lying to yourself is nothing but a barrier to self-improvement.

Every time you lie, you do nothing but restrict yourself. Here's your points:

- Why would they lie when they place that trade? I don't! Do you? Welcome to loser-land for starters! Lack of self-honesty in trading is a complete no-no, and if you're not over that one yet, then better stop trading for now, in your own best interest.

- Why would they lie to themselves when they pray to god? Do you think people lie believing in something, just because you don't? That's an assumption a 13-year old would make, not a grown-up. Just ask a seasoned Rabbi, Christian, Buddhist or Muslim preacher if he agrees with your view on "lies". You start sounding like Gordon Gekko man, you should hear yourself.

- Why would they lie in assessing their abilities? Isn't that just a recipe for pain and failure? Why not assess your abilities honestly and then work comfortably, without having to fulfil the high expectations set by lying to yourself? Makes no sense to me.

- Why would they lie looking in a mirror? Would you look in a mirror and say "Hey, you look sexy!", or "I've got a great big zit but I look great? I wouldn't! I'd look in a mirror and say to myself: "Hey, I need to work my abs!", or "I need to have a haircut.", or "I need some tan."

People who lie to themselves or others in life are doomed to failure. People who do it in trading are doomed to miserable failure, because trading is nothing but an amplification of real-life Darwinist principles. Who wants to live with lies? Eat and live or lie and die.

Scientist

#19     Mar 7, 2004
  10. your entire post is a lie, a monument to self-deception.

those who believe {like you} that complete objectivity [100%. anything else is lying by degree} when assessing self and others is possible is living a lie.

you cant turn EGO off --always in background (more for some, less for others} putting "its" spin on things, helping you cope, keeping you "sane", {and getting you what you want; or at least telling you what you want to hear.}

I'm sure you've heard of Tony Robbins and NLP? .. Well, Tony is biggest purveyor of self-deception techniques to help you lie to yourself more effectively for fun or profit.

Everyone lies to themselves {and others} all the time and at any given moment; the better you are at it, the more effective your results.

THATS survival benefits!

:-/

#20     Mar 7, 2004