What makes a recession? What's the biggest signal indicating the start of one?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by anycolour, Nov 3, 2019.

1. anycolour

anycolour

lol if 20% is bear, why are we 1k points above that bear? Are bears killed that quickly? How long does a bear market last on average? Just googled it, says avg is 14 months. Very similar to recession. Are recessions considered bear markets? One and the same?

#21     Feb 3, 2020
  2. schizo

schizo

But, to answer the OP's worrisome question, which is the precursor to recession? That is, which is more palpable/predictable? 20% stock market correction or two consecutive quarters of negative GDP? Without a doubt, 20% correction has almost always served as a precursor to recession.

#22     Feb 3, 2020
  3. anycolour

anycolour

Not worrisome. I'm just curious and asking questions. Thank you for your answers.

More questions:

I've kind of already asked, but as you said above, a 20% correction has almost always served as a precursor to a recession. I guess keyword there is almost. Is what we're witnessing right now, a 1,000 point move above that "recession precursor" a "natural" occurrence?

In previous occurrences, how %often has there been a 50% rebound from a 20% correction? Is it normal for a 50% rebound, in this case, 1k point spike from a 20% correction to occur so fast (from Jan 2019 to Jan 2020 = 1 year)?

As an uneducated person, I would think the activity would be more towards the downside, or ranging at best, after a 20% correction - for a considerable amount of time (~1 year). But what do I know.

#23     Feb 3, 2020
  4. schizo

schizo

I'm neither an economist nor a statistician, but I know from trading the past 2 recessions (2000 and 2008) that steep stock market correction usually precedes the recession. As they say, "The Stock Market Looks Forward, the Economy Looks Back".

In a bubble, everything become frothy. Market is no exception. Come to think of it, when have we ever seen the market rise for 7 CONSECUTIVE years making nonstop ATHs? From the 2008 high (just prior to the subprime debacle), S&P has gained 1,601%. From the low of 2009 aka Great Recession, it made 2,671%. Some folks think this is normal. Go figure.

It took over 25 years to recover the losses from the Great Depression (85% drop from the top), whereas it took only 5 years to recover from the Great Recession (58% drop).

If we have learned anything from the Japanese asset bubble of the early 90s, it's that once the bubble bursts there's no going back. I highly doubt we will ever see S&P revisit 3,337 again in our lifetime.

#24     Feb 4, 2020