What languages are programmers learning?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by nitro, Aug 7, 2016.

1. nitro

nitro

userque likes this.
  2. Cisco34

Cisco34

Good topic. I'm an ex (long time ago) developer and I've never heard of any of those. I'd like to know what language has advantages in programming algos and why? It was inferred to me by a rep at a brokerage firm that it was still C++.

3. I'm afraid C++ is still pretty much *it*. It's still widely used in wireless telecom and embedded programming (my fields). I was bitching in an earlier thread about how much I hate Python. That's really only because it's so different from C++, my main language. The fact is there's a huuuuge number of really good packages out there for numerical analysis, data gathering and massaging, GUIs, etc.

Cisco34 likes this.
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

I'm using 20year old VB6 mainly, just had to lean Java to code a google sheets system though :( Mates kid was messing with Python and it's like going back in time 30 years, no real GUI at all, just why!!

5. No GUI? How about no braces? I mean, the last time I saw indentation being used to enclose if or for actions was...what? Fortran IV? COBOL?

6. TradeCat

TradeCat

It's all about Python these days. Unless you're old and are set on C.

7. That's not really fair. There's a huge code base in certain fields that isn't going away and it's not like you get to pick the language to use on a project.

8. M.ST.

M.ST.

Python - one of the crappiest languages ever invented.

9. If you are just prototyping, or coding something for yourself, Python is just so much nicer than more corporate languages, or god forbid C++, so yes, that's what I (prefer) to use and learn.

10. i960

i960

You can use whatever works - there's libraries available for almost everything and where there isn't you don't necessarily need to reinvent your own.

Most of the "hot" languages these days aren't really all that mind-blowing or even massively useful - a lot of solutions searching for problems.

#10     Aug 7, 2016