What lags and what does not?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fearless9, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Champion,

Excellent observation Sir.

Imagine being given a box full of cut pieces of string and then being asked to count the ends.

In no time at all, various knowledgeable members of our little ET community, when confronted with this simple task, would produce logic and formulae that would take our imagination into places where it has never been before.(and doesn't belong I hasten to add)

Then when they are passed a box of rubber bands and asked to repeat the exercise, the responses would truly elevate our minds far beyond planet earth itself.

Whilst we are on the subject of circles. I mention circles simply because they appear to be the favourite geometric shape of ET ...... a badge of honour as it were.... and then there are circles within circles which I will not even mention.

Imagine for a single moment, the power of the mind of an ETer who could think in straight lines.
    Could it be that such a person could actually see the noble art of trading for what it really is, or am I about to awake from a dream.

Maybe I am wrong about Elite Chartist. Maybe the name change should be "Elite Circle"

regards
    f9

#31     Nov 27, 2008
  2. OK a 10 period MA does not lag itself.

I got that and here is what happened.

I rung my data provider and asked them what is the symbol for 10sma of ES december contract.
    She told me that there is only the ES symbol. The 10 sma is an indicator.

Honestly, where do they get these people ... good help is hard to find.

I kept my cool and asked to speak with her boss.
    I explained to him that since the 10 sma contains no lag, then that is what I want to trade.
    He told me to bugger off.

No to be daunted, I rung CME and explained very carefully my position, my wants and my desires.
    I don't know the exact phrase for "politely hang up in my ear" but that is what he did.

So I have come full circle (there is that word again) and all I want is the symbol for the 10 sma of ES dec contract.
    Help me please.

regards
    f9

#32     Nov 27, 2008
  3. In the matter of lag and it's consequences.

My neighbour here in Buenos Aires takes the bus to work via "Price" route

The other morning I was watching him.
    As the the Price Bus passed his house he ran out the front door and waved it down.
    The driver did not see him and so my neighbour missed the bus

Next morning my neighbour was more alert and as the bus came by he caught the driver's attention and ran after the bus.

My neighbour was doing 9mph and the bus was doing 10.
    He speed up to 10 mph and the bus increased to 11.
    The rest is history. Lagging you might say.

The following morning he stood by his gate and as the bus came by, my neighbour, full of determination, took off after it at full speed.
    The driver slammed on the brakes and my neighbour run full tilt into the back of the bus, knocking himself out.
    Here in BA this is very common and we call it "being stopped out"

That evening over an asado (BBQ) my neighbour asked me if I could offer any advice.

I suggested that he have a large leisurely breakfast and then wander to the bus stop two minutes before the bus arrives.

He looked at me as though I was a foreigner who had no idea of local customs, but the next day I watched as he performed this crazy stunt and sure enough he caught the bus easily.

As he explained later, that this new method simply works because it is his secret and he now calls it his "edge"

I have never had the heart to tell him that if the bus is passing his house, the driver is required to stop and pick him up.

regards
    f9

#33     Nov 27, 2008
  4. Your two commanding statements are contradictory.

A perfect example of circular thinking

regards
    f9

#34     Nov 27, 2008

5. GS
    It all becomes more and more fascinating.

Where is the abstract and paradox in trading may I ask

regards
    f9

#35     Nov 27, 2008
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

Here is what is lagging, my profits for 2008. I did not get to 2 million but am over a million as i wind down the year after Thanksgiving. Sure i will trade in Dec but basically i have the year booked.

Love this game, at my age ,66, daytrading beats sex, hahahahahahaa (No sex, i am past that and have the plan for 2009 is to "PAD" the retirement. I am retired as it is but still have plans and goals. (Like a house in New Zealand overlooking the ocean, depending on how we straighten out America with this fine young man as president now i could MAYBE settle on California because 2 sons say forget NZ)

Next year i have a new plan. Going to be watching 5 instruments rather than just the ES alone. As of now it looks like ES, Crude oil or Nat gas, Soybeans, Gold, Ten year note or 30 year bond. All subject to change except the ES which is my bread and butter depending on the price action of commodities. We all know commodities have periods of up and downs.

Wish me luck and tell spydertrader not to worry about my intelligence because it has served me quite fantastic in life. I will admit i never did make it to the finals in Scrippts National Spelling Bee. hahahahaaha

Ok, time to prepare to go eat good at relatives. Be cool on your stools.

#36     Nov 27, 2008

7. GS

Why do you add a hint of frustration into your posts.
    Is it to offset the lack of content by any chance.

Thank you for asking after market delta ... I appreciate your interest and I will try as best I can to provide a helpful and useful answer for you.

MD along with CCI, RSI, MA and everything else including the very holly PA remain firmly where I want them at all times.

regards
    f9

#37     Nov 27, 2008
  8. BTW, market delta set as "cumulative delta" is current with price and has ZERO lag....when the cumulative delta DIVERGES from price many times it is AHEAD of price. Indicators overlayed and computed from the cumulative delta lag up to the point the current forming candlestick COMPLETES. :)

#38     Nov 27, 2008
  9. GS

Your ability to add nothing of value I suspect has been honed and sharpened on more than 105 posts as GS.

Therefore I imagine that it is high time to come out of the closet and live your own life back under your original Username.

Now this brings us to an important point which must be addressed.

Given your interest in me and your desire to be closeted, it is only fair to warn you that I am not gay and in fact cannot help you in any leanings that you may have in this direction and care to share here on ET.

Perhaps another forum may be more to your taste. I wouldn't know nor care to know.

Anyway, always best to clear these things up before bitter disappointment is thrust upon our little community.

regards
    f9

#39     Nov 27, 2008
  10. One sick puppy....bitch.:mad:

Now back to the subject....In my opinion everything we do , especially in trading, has a "lag" content simply because the brain has to recognise reality to respond.

The alternative in trading is to set pretermined levels to enter and exit, which is, essentially, educated guesses.

Enjoy your turkey everyone and invite a friend who may not have nearby family...it is a feel good day.:cool:

#40     Nov 27, 2008