What Kinda Chair Do You Trade From - and The Importance of Good Seating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neil, Feb 23, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

Amen to that. I've got two kinda old desks, they are amazingly heavy and solid (made from solid wood). But, they are for short folks, so I made "blocks" of 3 4" squares of 2x4s and put one under each leg of my desks.

Now I can raise my chair to maximum height, and it is much more comfortable. I dunno why all the furniture seems more suited to people who are 2'6" than to those of us 6'2".

#21     Feb 23, 2003
  2. I trade in a worn out, old as the hills recliner, that looks like it went through 3 world wars and lost all 3. :D My little daschund dog and I get some pretty good naps in this old chair during deadzone.
    The wife hates it, but it's the only chair in the house that I can get halfway comfortable in. (chronic back pain) This chair is undoubtedly the ugliest chair for miles around. (early 70's burnt orange color) But hey, if I spill something on it, it doesn't matter.:)

#22     Feb 23, 2003
  3. T, question: I'm 6'2" and I've tried raising my chair to Max. height and it cuts the circulation off in my legs; does that bother you? Just a little below max. works best for me, and I have a common old utility table as a desk-- not fancy but it is long and accommodates all my gear.

#23     Feb 23, 2003
  4. People, the Herman Miller Aero chair is the one and only chair u will ever need. Take that commission you were going to pay your broker tomorrow or this week, and go out and buy one. Best investment for ur health out there . . .

#24     Feb 23, 2003
  5. I read about the Herman-Miller chair before in an e-Signal publication. Seems like the 'Cadillac', an $800 one.

Check out the SwingSeat for ~ $400, delivered:

http://www.swingseat.com/index.html,

and an article about the chair in 'TradersWorld':

http://www.tradersworld.com/swing_trading_chair.htm

I'm upgrading from my 1986, $90, armless Hon chair from Costco!
    My shoulders are really starting to bother me since getting into trading and sitting all bloody day...:(

#25     Feb 23, 2003
  6. Herman Miller all the way

#26     Feb 23, 2003
  7. Tea

Tea

#27     Feb 23, 2003
  8. TGregg

TGregg

My leg length is 32", and when my chair is maxed out, my legs only slightly decline - if I was wearing shoes, I think they'd be at 90 degrees - straight out. But I move around a lot, and when I lean back in my chair, my toes barely touch the ground :D.

I suspect that if I stayed in one position for a long time, I'd be uncomfortable. But, that's never been my style.

#28     Feb 23, 2003
  9. You can buy Herman Miller basic with lumbar support for $600 delivered. The idea to pay that much money for a chair looked so stupid to me that I did not even notice how I got one. It is definitely without any doubt overprized but my back stopped aching, ... coincidence ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#29     Feb 23, 2003
  10. rs7

rs7

So therefore it is not overpriced. Not if your back ached before. Cheap compared to pain or frequent visits to a chiropractor or masseuse.

I have one I bought cheap from a burnt out trader. Still, I find the best thing for me is to make sure and get OUT of the chair for at least 5 minutes at a time every half hour of so. If I can't leave, I don't. I will just stand and stretch. If I can walk away, I would rather do that. But no chair exists that you can or should sit in without stretching your legs. And getting your blood flowing.

I traded best when I used to go to the gym at lunchtime every day. Now that it is harder to trade (make money), I find myself trading more at the very times I should not be trading at all. (lunchtime for me). Typical trader's behavior.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#30     Feb 24, 2003