What kind of slot is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toonces, Jun 8, 2006.

1. I think we have the same slots. (Medium, Long) I have the ATI. I got it at Newegg, ~$170.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102677
    "Interface AGP 4X/8X"

BTW, from the Front of the card, it's Long, Medium,

#11     Jun 9, 2006
  2. comfut

comfut

Quick question:

I have an ATI Radeon 9550 256mb AGP card:

If I want to put in another card for a 4 monitor set-up, must I put in another ATI Radeon 9550 256mb card for compatability purposes?

If so, can I buy this card for a pci slot or will the agp card work in a regular pci slot?

BTW, I only have regular pci slots available, no other agp slots available.

Thanks for any help.

#12     Jun 9, 2006
  3. Nope, you are stuck. You'll have to get a AGP card with 4 monitor skills.

#13     Jun 9, 2006

4. Oh, btw, AGP is on it's way out. I'm looking to dumping the system in the next few months for a Mobo with PCI-Express. It's getting harder and harder to find AGP cards.

#14     Jun 9, 2006
  5. comfut

comfut

Thanks for the info.

I do have 2 pci regular slots available.

I will probably just get two pci cards that are exactley the same and put them in the pci slots.

That should work, right?

#15     Jun 9, 2006
  6. i run all ati cards...

i have a 9600 pro all in wonder agp and in the second slot an ati 7500 pci card...works like a charm...

you can get the pci card on ebay for around 30 dollars...

if all you do is trade on the machine is has more than enough graphics power to keep you happy...

#16     Jun 9, 2006
  7. comfut

comfut

Chi...thanks.

It sounds like as long as you stay with the same company, it shouldn't matter whether some cards are in different types of slots.

#17     Jun 9, 2006
  8. Wow, I can't believe that works. I'm on my 2nd ATI card in two years. Both gone bad. The 9800 Pro, fan broke, now this one, is two months old and it loses it's signal.

I've had no luck with ATI's agp cards, but if it works, do it.

Edit: Now I'm really starting to feel ripped off. How does your out of normal set up work, and my plain vanilla thing doesn't. This sucks.

#18     Jun 9, 2006
  9. not sure why i am so lucky...

machine 1 ati 9600 pro all in wonder agp...ati 7500 pci

machine 2 ati 9600 pro agp...ati 7500pci

bought all these on ebay cheap...these are made by ati and not powered by ati...big difference

#19     Jun 9, 2006