what kind of nonsense do they teach in christian schools?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 2, 2012.

1. When we moved our children from public schools into a private school, we carefully researched Christian schools in addition to secular private schools.

Not even one of the three Christian schools we looked at taught what you claim they teach. In fact, the Christian schools use the same text books as the secular private school where we ultimately enrolled our children.

While it may be true that some Christian schools teach what you claim, it's dishonest to attempt to make it appear as if that's the norm for most Christian schools.

#31     Jul 3, 2012
  2. come on man i dont think i ever said "all". in any case bju press it the go to christian textbook publisher. here is what they say about biology:

http://www.bjupress.com/category/grade-10-biology-curriculum?path=309150
    Biology Christian School Curriculum
    Biology shows your student God’s power and glory in creation as he learns about cellular biology, genetics, taxonomy, microbiology, botany, zoology, and human anatomy. When studying topics such as creation and evolution, human cloning, abortion, and stem cell research, students are pointed to Scripture as the ultimate authority and are encouraged to develop a biblical perspective about these topics.

"if conclusions contradict the word of God, the conclusions are wrong no matter how many scientific facts may appear to back them."biology textbook printed by conservative Christian publisher Bob Jones University Press

#32     Jul 3, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

In "His" own house, no less.

#33     Jul 3, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

I've been re-watching the old PBS show Cosmos (Carl Sagan) since itunes released it (comes with updates at the end of the episodes, added ten years later by Sagan). Sagan had a rather firm but fair, yet respectful attitude towards the religious.

#34     Jul 3, 2012
  5. The title of this thread is: what kind of nonsense do they teach in christian schools?

You painted all Christian schools with the same brush. You could have made a distinction between those that do and those that don't, but you chose not to.

If the title of the thread had been: "what kind of nonsense do they teach in some christian schools?" I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

#35     Jul 3, 2012
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

And can you point to a single accredited Christian school that uses books from Bob Jones Press? Provide a name and location of the school so I can call the school & verify your assertion. Most Christian schools are accountable to state standards on end-of-year tests, etc ... and use the same textbooks used in public schools.

Do you claim that all Muslim schools only use text books from extremist jihad publishers?

#36     Jul 3, 2012
  7. lol. ok next time i start a thread i will strive to make sure it passes your stringent criteria....if i have enough room. you only get so many words.

#37     Jul 3, 2012
  8. Sagan is one of my favorite scientists. He could make a clear and convincing argument without attack or insult.

Unfortunately, the day of gentleman scholars seems to have ended. In fact, the days of any type of civil discourse seem to be gone forever.

#38     Jul 3, 2012
  9. dont know what muslims use but i am sure they attempt to censor what their children learn too.

#39     Jul 3, 2012
  10. It has nothing to do with my stringent criteria. It has to do with making distinctions in the interest of fairness.

It don't believe that adding one word ("some") is too much to ask.

#40     Jul 3, 2012