what kind of life would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trend2009, May 26, 2011.

1. Personal privacy is by far the most important (yet undervalued) asset one can have.

I cringe at today's youth throwing out their personal info all over the place. Once that personal info is "digital", it never goes away, no matter how harmless it may seem at the moment.

#11     May 26, 2011
  2. I just don't equate excitement with the attention and admiration of strangers. I don't think that makes me a Buddha, just different interests than you perhaps.

#12     May 26, 2011
  3. Visaria

Visaria

4. The Pew family -- Sun Oil -- had two full time PR people on the payroll in 60's and 70's whose sole purpose was to keep their names out of the press. Anonymity is the smart, comfortable way to go. And, if you only have 100 million that was made in a fairly non-controversial way, it is pretty easy to live a quiet life.

There are enough clowns like Donald Trump -- although none rival him as the buffoon -- seeking their 15 minutes of fame that if you keep your month shut, tip 25% or less and keep your bad habits down to a low roar you can fly under the radar. No one has to be underground; hiding in plain sight is easy if you have even a modicum of common sense.

BTW, showing up anywhere with Lindsay Lohan is not a modicum of common sense!

#14     May 26, 2011
  5. Both paths would be living in denial. Why do that? Try to do the right thing and be efficient. Be a good steward of the money.

....but you would need to be there to really know. I think some people can handle wealth better than others.

ElectricWantsToGetNakedAndRollInOneHundredDollarBillsOnHisBedSavant

#15     May 26, 2011
  6. jprad

jprad

Completely agree. Privacy/anonymity is priceless. Once you've lost it you'll spend a fortune on security, which is a poor analog.

#16     May 26, 2011
  7. Seems like Dalmation is in the minority so far..

#17     May 26, 2011

8. Google "born rich-the documentary" if you want to understand the boredom of the wealthy.

I am not one of them( the uber rich) -- but one is my client. I understand the demographic, trust me.

#18     May 26, 2011
  9. jprad

jprad

And they didn't give it all away to live a "normal" life like the rest of us because...?

#19     May 26, 2011
  10. Eh, I'm not convinced. I know myself well and if I made 100 mil a year I'd much rather not be known to anyone other than my friends and family.

#20     May 26, 2011