What kind of Edge you have?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by carrer, Aug 7, 2015.

What kind of Edge you have?

1. Complex algorithm (possibly a combination)

19.4%
  2. Candle by candle statistics

1.5%
  3. Price actions

55.2%
  4. Patterns

34.3%
  5. Mathematical equations

16.4%
  6. Statistics based on indicators

20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Autodidact

Autodidact

Well lets face it, you in no position to determine what is serious and what is not since you obviously know of no edge, as the majority of traders.

#21     Aug 8, 2015
  2. carrer

carrer

Probably you are right to say that I have no edge. But I do not go around bashing people.

#22     Aug 8, 2015
  3. Autodidact

Autodidact

Im not bashing you, I'm just opening your eyes, if the truth hurts, that your problem to fix, not mine.

#23     Aug 8, 2015
  4. carrer

carrer

What do you mean by micro-wave and co-lo?

#24     Aug 8, 2015
  5. carrer

carrer

Okay, sorry.

#25     Aug 8, 2015
  6. carrer

carrer

Autodidact,

I have looked at your votes, you seemed to have ticked most of the edges. I would like to know if you really have those edges or you were just simply ticking. [serious question]

#26     Aug 8, 2015
  7. Autodidact

Autodidact

I've found edges in various techniques yes but they require that you think outside the box for an extended period of time until it clicks.

By reading textbooks and trading forums you will learn about what is common knowledge, what is textbook, etc. None of that crap works good enough for a substantial edge but learning what retail does and what retail looks for and hopes for plus thinking outside the box will help you get closer to what they lack, a real edge to make them consistently profitable.

Study how people lose, learn how they get trapped, make their pain your gain and take it from there. Word of advice, simply fading them won't do the trick, you have to think harder.

Last but not least if it is for sale, it sucks, don't ever fall prey to salesmen disguised as traders.

#27     Aug 8, 2015
    tommo, 777, carrer and 2 others like this.
  8. I have no edge.

I expect to get a sharpe ratio of perhaps 1.0 from my trading. That's a lot less than plenty of people on this site claim (although most don't put SR up, but I'm inferring it). I guess they have edges. I don't believe I have an edge.

I use a combination of 8 very simple rules (moving average crossovers, and similar. No patterns, candlesticks etc). I'd be happy to put the source code for 6 of them on the website (the last couple would get me sued, but they're not very complicated, just a simple extension of ideas in the other 6). You can find these 6 rules on a bunch of websites or in a dozen books.

My only edge perhaps then is that I have a system (which of itself contains no edge) and as its purely automated, there is no danger of me deviating from it. I have the technical skill to create purely automated systemsystem with the right scaling, position management etc but again this ain't no edge - it's public knowledge if you know where to look.

GAT

#28     Aug 8, 2015
    carrer likes this.
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

I laughed when I read this, why would anyone share their edge and an edge works till it doesn't.

#29     Aug 8, 2015
  10. Speculate

Speculate

I disagree. A real edge - if it is valid is part of the market/structure. Examples:
    Basis trading, delta neutral market making, spread vs fly/condor etc

Everyone knows of these approaches, they are still valid. Barriers to entry are getting higher though I grant you.

A setup on its own isnt really an edge imo. Basis at 16 1/2 is an edge. Contango is an edge if you have access to storage cheaper than the spread. A predefined sequence of events at a self defined support or resistance isnt. Why? There is no guarantee that what you hope will happen will. Your backtesting may suggest it has a 70% chance of panning out - but there are too many variables to say it will continue to do so in the future.

I think an edge is a real tough nut to crack if trading flat price structures. You only have hope with a flat price structure, and hope is not a strategy!

Im not saying you cant make money if you dont trade an edge of course - it's just a lot tougher!

#30     Aug 8, 2015
    Ghost_of_Blotto likes this.