What kept(keeps) you going through the long journey trying to make it trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by orbit23, Nov 11, 2019.

1. trader1974

trader1974

#21     Nov 12, 2019
    yc47ib and vanzandt like this.
  2. dozu888

dozu888

You need to read up on the latest AI stuff. Eg what Deepmind is doing.

#22     Nov 12, 2019
  3. Nobert

Nobert

I had a drive with paralyzed taxi driver.
    (legs not functioning)

During the drive, we were speaking, about his accident, his life after ; his 9 years old son, who liked arts as well & present life.

Before the end, i quoted those words from this video.

I could see the spark in his eyes, he slowly smiled & replied, almost to himself :

,,How much you can take & keep moving forward...''

#23     Nov 12, 2019
    trader1974 and vanzandt like this.
    #24     Nov 12, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  5. %% That;
    + trade sometimes, out of % of profits/ETFs/investments. Many millionaires in stock market+ REALTY , by investing- so factor that in with charts. Also factor in investing, in some single stocks-they go bankrupt, LOL.:D:D,:D:D:D:D:D:D

#25     Nov 12, 2019
  6. padutrader

padutrader

intelligence is not wisdom.
    for judgement you need wisdom.

#26     Nov 12, 2019
    Freebeejay likes this.
  7. trader99

trader99

mostly stocks now. In the past, futures.

#27     Nov 12, 2019
  8. dozu888

dozu888

omg you are so close minded lol.

#28     Nov 12, 2019
  9. padutrader

padutrader

wonderful judgement
    you seem to be an expert on everything.
    i know many retail who are making a lot of money...........

#29     Nov 13, 2019
  10. silversniper

silversniper Guest

Toiled around for over 5 years until 2 years ago by some happenstance, I was invited into a small group chat by a Twitter friend. There was a great trader in the group who helped out and via some deep conversations ended up "mentoring" me. It took me another year to
    work through some major blind spots I had from poor framework I developed following trash gurus on social media but once I made the breakthrough (after hitting new lows after new lows), I've not looked back since.

To answer ur Q, at first it was a strong determination, drive and desire for excellence that kept me going. But that turned into stubborness and eventually - to be quite honest - to delusion. I just didn't have a legitimate framework, and I did just enough good things
    to convince me I had a verifiable process but in reality, it just led to a slow bleed and lots of excuses (psychology, mindset, tough market conditions blah blah). From a personality P.o.V, I enjoyed the challenge. It took me to some pretty deep places at times but I took those moments as friction against which a gem could be polished - a trial by fire.

Of course in the end, I was very lucky to bump into such a generous person who had no agenda (nothing to sell) but to lift others up and I dont know how it may have turned out if I hadn't, but I was an open, honest/transparent and helpful person on fintwit and the connection eventually found me.. sometimes, good things can happen to good ppl. That said, I was also very receptive to this trader's ideas and methods and was mentally flexible enough
    to suspend my own beliefs about the markets, systematically breaking down my own ego while I learned from him. There were 3-4 others in the room who couldn't get past that and it never worked for them.

I have no doubt that the biggest cut to this 4-5 years is the presence of a mentor who is successful themselves. The "4 years" that this Goldstein is touting.. he doesn't know the half of it. For starters, he is thinking in averages which is just poor hack thinking when it comes to markets and tbh you should always be wary for survivorship bias whenever you receive advice from others.. me included!

that said, if I had to do it all over again - the starter advice I would give my newbie self would be:

1) Stay teachable
    2) Have a good nose for bullshit
    3) The rabbit hole is deeper than you think. Always.

#30     Nov 15, 2019
    orbit23, nooby_mcnoob and Nobert like this.