What it takes to develop a profitable trading system?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Aquarians, Dec 28, 2017.

1. >> finding the laws governing the market movements

Yeah, that's the stuff that makes a difference and for which I could probably use another (hired) hand. I know some, not enough yet, but definitely making progress. As I said, I've high hopes for this iteration.

#11     Dec 28, 2017
  2. qxr1011

qxr1011

you won't find anyone or anything valuable for obvious reasons

#12     Dec 28, 2017
  3. >>Why did your strategy work in the back test but failed in real life?

It doesn't work in the back test either. To cut it short, it would if I could sell higher or buy lower but darn market already prices those things more competitive than I currently can. But who knows what the future may bring...

#13     Dec 28, 2017
  4. >> you won't find anyone or anything valuable for obvious reasons

Most likely. Worth posting the job just for the fun of watching the clueless apply.

#14     Dec 28, 2017
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

unless you marry to it :)

#15     Dec 28, 2017
    ironchef and murray t turtle like this.
  6. qxr1011

qxr1011

well if some of them will be smarter (more knowledgeable) than you (but not than the market) then you will lose considerable amount of money before recognizing that :)

#16     Dec 28, 2017
  7. rb7

rb7

My 2-cent recipe:
    1) Initial know how (math, programming, trading, financial markets, behaviorism, etc.)
    2) Find a profitable strategy/model/system using manual analysis (charts, excel, etc.). When found, goto 3.
    3) Backtest with several months/years of data. If still profitable, goto 4, else go back to 2.
    4) Live paper trading (paper money, real-time data feed) for a couple of months/years depending of the strategy/model and time frame. If still profitable, goto 5, else to back to 2.
    5) Live real trading with minimum size for a couple of months/years depending of the strategy/model and time frame. If still profitable, goto 6, else go back to 2.
    6) Live real trading with full size.
    7) Keep trying to find profitable strategy/mode/system, cause markets are evolving and you never know when your current system will start to be less profitable.

As for your questions, do all yourself. This way, you'll always be liable about everything. Counting on others bring you expectations, and they are rarely met. Being profitable with trading is very very hard. It might takes a few months (if you are lucky), but most likely it will take you years. And there is no guarantee of success at the end. But best of all, it is possible, others have made it. There won't be any free lunch (it reminds me a trading firm that was called TANSTAAFL 'there-ain't-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch', Don't know if they still exist!!!)

#17     Dec 28, 2017
    murray t turtle and Xela like this.
  8. Good point! Thanks for raising this up :)

#18     Dec 28, 2017
  9. qxr1011

qxr1011

first of, what one man can do - not everyone can !
    and secondly - who had made it?

#19     Dec 28, 2017
  10. %%
    Good thinking LOL. Dont know if it works with options, because most of it[95%+] is cash stocks ; 455/+ page system of Investors Business Daily founder works, but requires a good bit of discretion+ years..... Its a weekly newspaper now:cool:Even though he made much money with NYSE seat rates, ; its still do able, with other rates.....

#20     Dec 28, 2017