what it means to be morman. do we want a man as president who believes this tripe?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. stu

stu

You're talking about extreme people taking things to extremes, not getting divorced. People do that in many other ways than with bibles and religion. Maybe you need to get around more. :)

#41     Oct 12, 2012
  2. stu

stu

I completely disagree. If you're going to generalize, people generally, genuinely and fundamentally do things because it's the right thing, irrespective of religion, which of course can and does cause wrong doing as well.

There is no better reason to do good than for the sake of it. Bottom line most people accept that.

#42     Oct 12, 2012
  3. A recent study by the Barna Research Group throws extreme doubt on these estimates. Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.

25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.

Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.
    George Barna, president and founder of Barna Research Group, commented:

"While it may be alarming to discover that born again Christians are more likely than others to experience a divorce, that pattern has been in place for quite some time. Even more disturbing, perhaps, is that when those individuals experience a divorce many of them feel their community of faith provides rejection rather than support and healing. But the research also raises questions regarding the effectiveness of how churches minister to families. The ultimate responsibility for a marriage belongs to the husband and wife, but the high incidence of divorce within the Christian community challenges the idea that churches provide truly practical and life-changing support for marriages."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

#43     Oct 12, 2012
  4. jem

jem

from the not so recent barna study... why did you leave out this info?

It draws a more complete picture.

Non-denominational ** 34%
    Baptists 29%
    Mainline Protestants 25%
    Mormons 24%
    Catholics 21%
    Lutherans 21%

Atheists were tied with Catholics and Lutherans.

#44     Oct 13, 2012
  5. jem

jem

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03-14-divorce-christians_N.htm

"You do hear, both in Christian and non-Christian circles, that Christians are no different from anyone else when it comes to divorce and that is not true if you are focusing on Christians who are regular church attendees," he said.
    Wilcox's analysis of the National Survey of Families and Households has found that Americans who attend religious services several times a month were about 35% less likely to divorce than those with no religious affiliation.
    Nominal conservative Protestants, on the other hand, were 20% more likely to divorce than the religiously unaffiliated.
    "There's something about being a nominal 'Christian' that is linked to a lot of negative outcomes when it comes to family life," Wilcox said.

#45     Oct 13, 2012
  6. jem

jem

that is a response?

Damn right I want someone who sees the value of life and understands that killing millions might not merit eternal favor from a just God.

certainly better framework who lives with the scientifically discredited notion that this all came about by random chance.

I want someone who understands that top scientists now understand that our universe appears designed.

Someone whose brain is open to the idea no one is science claims to know for sure whether there is a creator or not.

An true atheist who states there is no God... is suffering from some sort brain disfunction.

I will take a reasonable agnostic or reasonable believer who knows where facts stop and faith begins.

Someone who says they know there is no God.... should be disqualified for being so out of touch.

#46     Oct 13, 2012
  7. I didn't leave anything out that's why I always put a link in when I post something someone else wrote.

#47     Oct 13, 2012