what it means to be morman. do we want a man as president who believes this tripe?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Max E.

Max E.

This is b.s. I met alot of bible thumpers growing up cause i was in a catholic school, until grade 8, and of all the guys (who were friends of mine)that i remember being deeply religious, there isnt a single one who has kids out of wedlock. Im not saying that 100% of religious people dont have kids out of wedlock, im just saying that they are much more inclinced to have kids in a 2 person household, that in and of itself is a monster benefit in terms of creating a kid who will not be a burden to society.

#31     Oct 12, 2012
  2. jem

jem

that is a great point..

I can't tell you how many Catholic guys I know who married the girl they got pregnant in high school or college. I know 3 sons from the same family.

My wife's good good friend got pregnant in college and got married for the same reasons.

Its funny cause there son is in college their daughter is getting married soon and by comparison getting out of diapers.

#32     Oct 12, 2012
  3. stu

stu

The point at issue is surely WHY a religious believer believes, not that they are stupid. Reasons given, are rational or not but stupid reasons are what they are. If people need those to give them personal strength, then it is a matter that attracts and deserves critical questioning.

I disagree with your premise. It is a 'higher thing' in common consciousness to do right and good for the sake of it, to improve for real and practical reasons, to achieve and do better for yourself, your family and community.
    Only doing so because you believe in a religion, because you're trying to please a deity is selfish and demeans greater things.

#33     Oct 12, 2012
  4. And don't forget the polygamy and child brides.

#34     Oct 12, 2012
  5. Max E.

Max E.

A buddy of mine who was deeply religious (parents basically ran the church) now plays in the NHL, and the first thing he did when he got signed to a multi million dollar contract was get married to a home town girl, and there is no way this guy would cheat on her.

We always razz him about it when he comes home, and we golf with him again, cause the whole thing about playing pro sports is to get hot chicks..... He is unwavering in his beliefs and i respect him for it.

#35     Oct 12, 2012
  6. stu

stu

Bible thumping catholics out of wedlock not withstanding!

It's a ridiculous argument to assume because you know some stable religious households, religious households are more likely to be stable.
    An association fallacy.
    No doubt you'll know dogs have four legs 'cause you've met a lot. So do you then presume cats must be dogs? They're not, but generally are more stable!

#36     Oct 12, 2012
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Thats bullshit though, because the percentages are so much higher,

I admit the amount of people i know is not statistically significant, However If you take someone who truly believes in the bible, who eats it up hook line and sinker, they are far less likely to get divorced, or end in divorce. This is a fact.

#37     Oct 12, 2012
  8. When did it become a discussion of Is-lame?

not that it shouldn't be since obama is a "mudslime"

#38     Oct 12, 2012
  9. stu

stu

People are that way who don't get religious. That's assuredly deserving more respect.
    Surely you first respect someone for their deeds not because they need an opiate in the form of religion to fix them that way.

#39     Oct 12, 2012
  10. Max E.

Max E.

Sure there are people who are genuinely like that, but generally they are not like that in as high of numbers as those who thoroughly believe in their religion.

#40     Oct 12, 2012