What Israelis think of Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sameeh55, Jun 5, 2009.

1. If Washington were united in taking a hard stand against Israel, Israel would have to compromise because Israel can't survive without U.S. backing.

BTW, as a Torontonian, my experience of Jews has been that they are too often elitists who love to feel separate from and superior to the rest of us. It was refreshing to see these Israeli "idiots" who came across as regular folks without any pretence or attitude. I liked them even though I didn't agree with everything they had to say.

#21     Jun 6, 2009
  2. Illum

Illum

He just sold 12 Apache Longbows to Egypt. Those things are nasty. That is a "push."

#22     Jun 6, 2009
  3. When you say that Israel can't survive...are you admitting that Israel is facing existential threats from their "peace-loving" Islamo-Nazi arab neighbors? Hmm, I guess I agree even if it was a Freudian slip on your part. Oh, and don't you think that Washington is united in support of Israel exactly because of these threats and because Israel's unilateral concessions don't help its long term survival?

PS I disagree that Israel can't survive without the US backing though, it would just be a lot blodier as they'd have to wipe out the entire arab world (which btw they are militarily quite capable of doing) if threatened.

#23     Jun 6, 2009

4. Do you think Israel is dependent on the US for its military? Egypt could get weapons from Russia or whoever. If true, just goes to show what an idiot obama truly is.

#24     Jun 6, 2009
  5. Illum

Illum

No not at all. It is rumored they have 100-200 nukes, so everything else is irrelevant. I do think Obama wants the settlements to stop, and he has some influence, we will see.

#25     Jun 6, 2009
  6. Sure he does, why would not he want to placate the muslim world with Israeli not American concessions. Nice try but I doubt that Netanyahu will be willing to play along without a heavy price tag (not necessarily financial) attached to it.

#26     Jun 6, 2009
  7. Israel has promised to stop building many times but so far has been unable or unwilling to keep their word.

#27     Jun 6, 2009

8. I suspect there are some modern day Moshe Dyans still walking around.

#28     Jun 6, 2009
  9. They promised to stop building new settlements and they kept their word.

Moreover those committements were parts of bilateral agreements with the Palestinians in which the arabs made promises they did not keep and did not intend to keep. Israel can't be expected to unilaterally keep their promises while the arabs don't keep their end of the bargain.

#29     Jun 6, 2009
  10. George Bush the father threatened to cut all funding to Israel if they did not stop building these ilegal settlments.

#30     Jun 6, 2009