What is your "TRADING HOLY GRAIL"?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bighog, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I want to add in something that really helped me......funny thing is that it was staring at me for a year or so before I realized it.

I trade currency futures on the CME. Mostly EURO FX. I trade support resistance levels based on pivots. More emphasis on monthly and weekly levels than the dailies.

I use TradeStation and they have this thing called the MATRIX which is simply a fancy order tool. (I'm sure there are many others). The one thing this does is graphically print the volume in the form of bars to the right of the price. I paid this no mind for a long time. Now it is my "Holy Grail" for timing and confirmation of my S&R levels. You can almost always watch the Bell curve develop properly (or improperly) each day. More importantly, if there are gaps in the curve they can be a great place for entries, etc. I was always fascinated with "Market Profile" but it was just too much for me to use in my trading decisions. This is a micro view of it that I use every trading day. It is particularly helpful in identifing true bottoms and tops.

Anyway.... the point is that it was staring me right in the face for a long time. Day after day I watched it. Then one day the old brain turned it into a revelation.

Good trading and I hope this helps someone.

DRT

#31     Jan 7, 2006
  2. Mine was letting go of "what-has-happened-will-continue-to-happen" trading, and coming to terms with la nausee of the markets.

gg liberal arts education lol

#32     Jan 7, 2006
  3. The Holy Grail is being able to develop a market algorhythm, and then CONSISTENTLY trading that algorhythm.

This will take a lot of screen time.

Best Regards
    Oddi

#33     Jan 8, 2006
  4. Anything that gets posted on forums or printed in books and magazines.
    :D

BTW: What is good enough to qualify as a holy-grail? Let's talk futures:

Double your money in less than 5 trading days?
    Double your money in less than 10 trading days?
    Double your money in less than 25 trading days?
    Double your money in less than 50 trading days?
    Double your money in less than 100 trading days?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

#34     Jan 8, 2006
  5. Holy Grail has been introduced for, and by, people who are bored and just want to waste time in useless postings.
    Holy Grail has a different definition for each person, so how can you “discuss” about a defintion that is different for each individual?
    It’s like discussing about the colour red, but for A red will be red, for B red will be blue, for C red will be yellow…… And then A says red is awful while B finds it an attractive colour.

In trading Holy Grail can mean:
    Wiping out your account after three days only.
    Wiping out your account in 1 year only.
    Making 1$ a year.
    Making 1000$ a day.
    Making 1 million a day.

Each of these Holly Grails are the result of the opinion of 1 individual.
    For most people not losing money is the ultimate Holy Grail; which they probably will never achieve, but in most cases a Holly Grail is an unreachable dream. And dreamers will never become good traders

#35     Jan 8, 2006
  6. Probably like this:

Q

Beating Larry Williams record
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4515

With this I make the announcement that 1 january of 2003, I will try to beat
    the record of Larry Williams when he turned
    10000,-$ into 1.147.607,-$ in 1987.

UQ

:D

#36     Jan 8, 2006
  7. hehehe. Giver hell uk. Looks like you have been doing some goal setting for the new year.

My goal for this year is $1,000,000 also. If every week could be like last weeks (4 days) in the EURO then I would be there in no time. Probably lose a million this week.

#37     Jan 8, 2006
  8. That was sabena's goal for 2003, not mine. :confused:

#38     Jan 8, 2006
  9. Sorry. Too much coffee.

#39     Jan 8, 2006
  10. That's alright. I wish you can do better than sabena. :cool:

#40     Jan 8, 2006