What is your personal favourite indicator for daytrading

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by bradstal, Jan 8, 2008.

1. There is some good information on the merits of tick charts etc. Use the search button , intraday you want a short term system that keeps you out of chop. Intraday I usually just have a moving average and parabolic sar, plus tape reading, also look at MACD. The issue is that no indicator will tell where the dow will close on monday. That is where tape reading or price action comes in. Pick a stock you like watch time and sales all day for 3-5 days straight and you will start to see it. Good trading.

#31     Jan 26, 2008
  2. volume.

#32     Jan 26, 2008

3. LOL

#33     Jan 26, 2008
  4. Stochastics, RSI, price channels and support levels, volume

#34     Jan 27, 2008
  5. commoditiestrdr

commoditiestrdr Commodities View

I would have to say bollinger bands and Wilder's ADX....

I'm always looking for something better

#35     Jan 27, 2008
  6. Agree - opening price.

5 day charts also.

#36     Jan 27, 2008
  7. 1-2-3 patterns of price. Everything needed to know about future market direction is built upon that.

Took me several years and 1,000s of manhours studying charts to unlock the secrets there. For all those here who direct newbies to read a couple of books, study charts and figure it out for yourselves, there's the best place to start.

Study 1,2,3 patterns and invest several years' worth of trial & error. Real $$ lost in the learning process could be $100s, could be $1,000s or could be $$millions but that's simply the true cost of our "free" education.

1,2,3 patterns are the building blocks of retracement, gann, elliot wave, channels, trendlines, simple patterns (flags, pennants, wedges, channels) and exotic patterns (gartleys, dragons, flying whirligigs, etc) along with everything else.

#37     Jan 27, 2008
  8. <i>"Suri Duddela's site is pretty good,along with his book.
    Good intraday/dailypatterns."</i>

Yes, excellent compilation work for traders new to price pattern measurements. I own it, and consider it to be one of the better how-to books ever written for new traders to learn from.

Bulkowski books are also very good, albeit perhaps a bit too extensive. Better too much than not enough info, in this case :)

#38     Jan 27, 2008
  9. "The trained eye indicator"

really - tape reading, watching order flow, looking for obvious vol in support or resistance levels, HOD and LOD breakouts esp around 9"45 - 10:30, and of course EXTRA attention to the TICK and S&P futures and the stocks intra-day relative strength or weakness.

yibbidy yibbidy yibbidy ..that's all folks...

#39     Jan 28, 2008
  10. Orrrrrrr, you can:

1) Close your eyes
    2) Flip a coin
    3) Try to find out where the coin landed
    4) If you found the coin, Repeat Step 1. If you lost the coin, Start begging!

:)

#40     Jan 28, 2008