What is your opinion of HeadHunters?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by virtualmoney, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sjfan

sjfan

What line of business are you in? It's really interesting... it's definately not the norm in finance.

#11     Feb 9, 2011
  2. The employer pays the money. The recruiter's client is always the employer no matter what they say.

#12     Feb 9, 2011
  3. I know of some terrific recruiters...they're friendly and definitely want to place the right people in the right position.

If anyone is Chicago based and wants to connect with the right people, you can PM me.

Redline Associates, Brokerage Consultants Int'l (BCI) are both good for Chicago financial pros.

If you're a ROCK STAR, George Stein of Commodity Talent would be the guy.

--Chicago CTA

#13     Feb 9, 2011
  4. sjfan

sjfan

Not quite correct... a recruiter is more like a real estate broker; He wants to make a deal and get paid. The employer doing is paying doesn't necessarily means he works only for the employer - since unless he can find the right candidate, that alone doesn't earn him a fee. However, like a real estate broker, his interesting isn't to get you (the prospective employee) the *best* possible deal; He wants to move you as soon as possible and move on.

Keep that in mind; But that doesn't mean they can't be useful.

#14     Feb 9, 2011
  5. Hi all - Valuable input for you to consider. Recruiters that work on retainer, paid in advance, and in three ongoing monthly installments as the search is being conducted for hiring firm. They work for the firm's best hiring interests, not yours, as they guarantee their work to the firm for at least a year minimun and theur rep, and dignity are always at stake. So, if you are head trader at XYX Corp. and get a call, and job pitched to you at PPP Corp., the recruiter is working on a set of job specifications mutually agreed upon by both recruiter, and hiring firm that you either meet or don't. Not much leaway here unless you are an undiscovered genuis level talent that the intuitive recruiter picks up during initial phone conversation. ... Recruiters that work on contingency are whores interested in fees, and would "place" their mother in a bad situation if they could turn a few $$. Might guarantee their work for 30 days if pressed, and if they fail, just start process all over. Retainer with name firms is only way to go. As job seeker, let a guy like me find you. If you are good, great, or a comer, my digging skills will surface you, place you on my list of possibilities, and I'll take it from there. Just keep doing what you love, I/we'll find you, and your passion will carry you to the next level in the interview process. Doesn't matter what the job is, passion rules, and if you don't get job, probably means employer was threaten by you, and eventually hires "yes" men like Ronald Rumsfeld did. You know, the, "go along to get along" kind of guys. Not independent thinkers, like true traders are.

#15     Feb 9, 2011
  6. You have to be careful about what you say to them. They could be working you for leads. Oh and where are you interview, their next call. I worked in the industry for about a year as my first sales job.

One time I heard our recruiter do just hat. Found out where prospect was interviewed and cold called those businesses with our signed up prospects.

In an nutshell, like brokers they can be very sleazy.

#16     Feb 9, 2011
  7. And I love when they ask for verification of salary history. Fuck you let me see your W-2 and then we can talk. That's my biz not yours.

I have seen some very good recruiters, but they are less than 20% the others are pimps at best.

#17     Feb 9, 2011
  8. Roark

Roark

More like whores.

#18     Feb 9, 2011
  9. any job that profits off trafficking human labor is immoral. think cattle.

#19     Feb 9, 2011
  10. Sales trader...these name cards/info gathering events are definitely a norm in finance networking sessions. If you had the intention to switch jobs, it's ok but some were victims just because they gave out name cards unknowingly to headhunter or marketing data miners who sold/exchange info. Do note that some are even targeting and recommending your post to themselves if they find it good and your boss is an idiot. These are just interim headhunters using headhunting as an excuse to find greener grass...
    I.e. Job robbers

#20     Feb 9, 2011