What is your opinion of HeadHunters?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by virtualmoney, Feb 9, 2011.

1. What is your opinion of HeadHunters?
    Seems like they are info diggers who may call your existing boss thus get you into trouble or they think you waste their time if you do not have a job but looking for one. Avoid going to events that gathers name/business cards especially if you are already working.

2. hypocrites!!!

3. Dangerous hypocrites.:eek:

4. LeeD

LeeD

Like in any business, if you search hard (or happen to be unlucky) you can find a few unscrupulous types. So, it is up to you to choose carefully who you want to build working relationship with.

Similarly, headhunters choose who to work with too. If a job applicant wants a job outside the professional area in which the headhunter works or lack necessary qualifications, the CV will likely go to the end of the queue. If the headhunter sees something fishy about the biography or credntials of an applicant, it's the headhuinter's reputation that is on the line.

I'm sure a few headhunters post on these forums. If you are one, please share your insight.

5. sjfan

sjfan

Okay - let's leave a side the scumbag scamers that are in any business;

Why would they call your existing boss? What do they have to gain?

I've used headhunters before. Successfully. But there are many types out there - the good ones find you;

6. You can make alot of money working as a recruiter, especially physician recruitment, since physicians will always be needed. Placement fees average $25,000 per placement and good recruiters can average one per month. Great income potential after spending only about $6,000 per year in advertising expenses, and it can be done spending even less than that, plus you can work from anywhere in the world, since you don't ever have to meet your clients or candidates.

7. I don't know about recruiter's calling current employers, but in the past, I had real problems with the new prospective employer calling the current employer. It is hard to avoid when you live in a smallish city, your current employer has been around forever, and you are trying to stay in the same industry.

I guess this happened, once too often. A call, of this nature, led to my position being classified as too important to not have a "backup" followed by a rapid deterioration of the situation. Forced to jump ship onto the first alternative. I am not just assuming that this happened. The guy apologized and tried to make it up to me. Good jobs are hard to find, and easy to lose.

8. First they pretend to verify with your boss that you are working there, nature of job and check if he is please with your performance. Then says he met you at an event and you mention that you are not happy with your current job and looking for better opportunity else where (which could be totally bs since all you did was gave him/her a name card).
    Finally he/she counter propose your boss other candidates for your post.
    Exactly, The 'good' ones are the dangerous type because they find you.

9. sjfan

sjfan

I don't know what kind of a-holes you've been running into but my experiences (and the norm for my industry, which happens to be finance).

So essentially these aren't headhunters that want you as clients, but has clients that they want to put into your position... given that they get paid for landing their clients, you can probably sue them;

Finally, a reputatible firm with a decent HR would never work a headhunter that does that.

Do you want to tell us whether this is a specific incidence you've faced, or something you fear might be the case?

10. My ex-boss and a few friends ever told me about these events and giving out name cards but I was not the victim.

#10     Feb 9, 2011