What is your edge ?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by oilfxpro, Jul 1, 2012.

1. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

Does it?

I'd say that would depend on the quality of ones edge. However if one struggles in defining ones edge, one will probably struggle with psyche. It makes perfect sense does it not?

#31     Jul 2, 2012
  2. Let us say a trader has quality edge ( and you say that it is not psyche) , what happens in reality when the edge fails or is eroded or fails temporarily?

Most damage to traders is done by themselves.What is going to save trader from self damage?Phsyche?

Bear in mind ,there is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of variables that define an edge.

Anything can happen.

http://www.tischendorf.com/2010/12/12/mark-douglas-video-interview-trading-psychology-quotes/

#32     Jul 2, 2012
  3. zdreg

zdreg

now u are stubborn. you have made yourself to look ridiculous for a 2nd time. it is saying over the course of a year he averages 1.8% per trade. do u understand enough english to understand the meaning of per trade.
    "My calculated edge based on actual trades is 1.8% or for every $1000 I put into a trade I expect to make $18. No I don’t make that on every trade, sometimes more sometimes a lot less but over the period of a year I’m fairly confidant that I will come close to that number."

i suggest you sit down with your calculator or with an abacus if you are competent enought to use one, to figure out his true rate of return. if everyday he turned over his capital once his rate of return would be 250 x .018 x1000 (original capital) = 4500.
    his annual return would be 350% on his capital which would be a great performance.

#33     Jul 2, 2012
  4. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

...then it isn't a proper edge. You're mistaking 'edge' for a method with (supposed) positive expectancy. the 2 are not the same.

An edge is something inherent to the approach.

A system with positive expectancy suggests nothing more than some variables backtested over an amount of time and some poor sucker starring at his belly wondering why his method he spent so long building no longer works, then starts beating himself up for it, blaming himself for sloppy execution etc when in reality he has a negative edge because his inherent approach is based on technical analysis, hard stops, and other junk he (and the other 80% of losers) has been reading about.

Technical Analysis provides no edge in itself fyi

BTW Douglas isnt an authority on trading. Hes an author of pop psychology in the niche of trading.

#34     Jul 2, 2012
  5. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

I'll let you have the last word on this. Good luck with what ever it is you are trying to prove (How pedantic you are perhaps?).
    :)

#35     Jul 2, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

#36     Jul 2, 2012
  7. Non compounded.

#37     Jul 2, 2012
  8. deaddog

deaddog

This is best way for me to define my edge. How do you suggest an Edge be defined?

1.8% is not the annual return. The annual return is dependant on the number of trades made, the length of time the trades are held and the position size in relation to the account size.

When I state that I’m confident in that number as it hasn’t varied more than a couple percentage points over the last few years. My equity curve looks like a crippled snake but the overall trend is up.

#38     Jul 2, 2012
  9. deaddog

deaddog

No such luck. I'm a swing trader,

I don't compound as I pull cash out at the end of each month, at least on the winning months. Capital remains constant.

#39     Jul 2, 2012
  10. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

#40     Jul 2, 2012