What is trading to you?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by orbit23, Sep 18, 2020.

1. themickey

themickey

peeking_shining_gold.jpg

#11     Sep 18, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

Did you mean to say the hookers and the odd nights out with non hookers. Get a new hobby.:D

#12     Sep 18, 2020
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Nope I like hookers you don't pay for the sex you pay them to leave after and not lie and fuck with your head blowing hot and cold, like my current well 8months in still not a clue what's going on so errr yeah!

#13     Sep 18, 2020
  4. Handle123

Handle123

After 42 years of learning, trading, testing, automating, am way past tired of doing it. New ideas stopped year ago, don't have any motivation to work on even getting better unless deals with options and risk management. Have gotten to levels where it seems can't get any better and just happy with it.

More happy to be chasing intelligent gals than staring at charts.

#14     Sep 18, 2020
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

Had more than my fair share, not even been to anyone's office in months, rough times :(

#15     Sep 18, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

My intention not too far down the track is to hit the road travelling Australia, I should be able to manage trading simultaneously.
    EhJSpXTU4AAA-WC.jpeg

#16     Sep 18, 2020
    d08 likes this.
  7. deaddog

deaddog

Well I don't really want for anything and I'm grateful for what I have.

As I heard in a song somewhere; "The days my gratitude is higher than my expectations, I have really good days."

#17     Sep 18, 2020
    Relentless and formikatrading like this.
  8. Tradex

Tradex

I once knew a super wealthy retail commodity traders in New York City. He used some obscure and virtually impossible-to-understand Gann trading system to make truckloads of money every year, rain or shine.

One day, after a few beers in his Park Avenue penthouse, around 2 AM, he told me, in the most mysterious way : "You know, I do not trade to make money, it is not my ultimate goal, and it shouldn't be yours either...", and then he went to sleep after saying good bye.

He passed away a few months later, lung cancer.

I will never know the meaning of his conversation, and to this day, it still haunts me.

#18     Sep 18, 2020
  9. It is mainly passing the time. I am semi-retired and have a passive business. I had my money in cash for a long time while pursuing other interests. Now I realize how stupid that was considering hidden inflation.

A stool has three legs to offer stability.

Here is my three-prong operation;
    • Invest for the long haul with dollar-cost averaging. With Schwab, I can auto-invest a $1000 a month in 10 well-diversified mutual funds, including bond funds. (I have 3 bond funds and 7 stock funds.)
    • Intermediate-term; I would play options long/short on SPY, QQQ, and certain stocks- never sell premium naked but buy spread and covered stock with a short call.
    • Short term I would swing trade scalp futures ES, SIL, etc
    I have separated my investment funds and speculative funds to 10:1 and never trade anything with a risk of more than 2–3 percent.

P.S. I also help out with my wife's retirement account and that generated a nice return year after year.

#19     Sep 18, 2020
  10. Interesting. I think it's one of the best tests of self-mastery and mental discipline. I wonder if he looked at trading the same way someone looks at becoming a master at chess or even a champion professional poker player. For me, I have some unique pattern recognition skills and trading has always been about developing those and mastering the craft of trading. And that has involved overcoming myself as my "default' personality patterns were not well-suited for trading. Trading has been the catalyst to pursue personal development in all areas of my life but especially with respect to my mindset.

#20     Sep 18, 2020
    Andrea Wylan and Tradex like this.