What is the threshold to be considered a successful day trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Bugsy, Jul 10, 2020.

1. ValeryN

ValeryN

On overly competitive markets - in "Dark Pools" there is a story how Thomas Peterffy, who some consider a father of electronic trader but widely known as founder of Interactive Brokers, pulled out of ISLAND in late 90-ies. When ISLAND contacted him to see why, his answer was - because I don't make money on ISLAND. Later they started calling it - there were too many sharks in that tank.

#51     Aug 18, 2020
    MrMuppet likes this.
  2. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

This basically was one of my eureka moments of mine ;)

#52     Aug 18, 2020
    ValeryN likes this.
  3. bone

bone

Daytrader with a mouse in one hand staring at a screen for seven hours every day: Wounded Antelope on the Serengeti Plain.

Daytrader with a well designed automated trading program running on a very high performing ECN: a fighting chance.

#53     Aug 18, 2020
    VolSkewTrader likes this.
  4. trader1974

trader1974

I believe that success is determined by comparing what the average person earns.
    If it is much higher then it is successful.

#54     Aug 22, 2020
  5. deaddog

deaddog

The question to ask would be did you achieve the goals you set for yourself? If you managed to do that then you succeeded.

If your goal is to only lose half your money and you break even that would make you a success in your eyes. And really on an anonymous internet forum who knows or cares?

#55     Aug 29, 2020
  6. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

I agree with this definition of success. When you can trust and follow your plan. Therefore, you trust yourself, and the money follows. Then, as you are able to scale up without negative psychological consequences, you know you are reaching success. Whether you make a lot of money or not at that point may depend on how successful a strategy you have (assuming you have the mindset to follow the strategy.)

So, it is more about being able to follow the plan than how much money you make--in my mind.

#56     Sep 15, 2020
  7. never2old

never2old

is that a plan to have win rate of better than 51% with a set dollar win of better than x%?

what would you say a consistant/long term win rate should be for the average retail trader to make them a "successful day trader".... 51% or a higher number?

as always a positive account balance should go hand in hand with the 'more wins than losses'.

is "a plan" the same as 'self discipline' or 'knowledge/skill'?

#57     Oct 5, 2020
  8. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Good questions. It all depends. If you win 50% and you have 1 to 3 (risk to reward) consistently or greater you will make money. If you have a 1/1 Risk to reward, then you better win 70 or 80%. It is all an equation to work out.

To me you are successful when you can implement the plan and achieve these numbers and do it consistently. Which means you have mastered your mind. Because even if you do 9 good trades out 10 and the last one blows up, you can destroy your account. So it comes down to the winning strategy, the risk management and the ability to discipline yourself so you can trust yourself to follow the plan.

(You start with the Plan. The discipline is the ability to follow it.)

#58     Oct 5, 2020
  9. never2old

never2old

@Andrea Wylan, thanks for responding.

when you say "start with a plan", many starting out or even long term traders or investors, I'm guessing many do not have or know what "the plan" is!

speaking for myself as a 73 year old senior that has been investing & trading for a few decades (one that considers themself as someone that is 'not as smart as a 5th grader'), KISS principle trading/investing is what works for me, that getting a consistent in any market/any year - minimum 51% win rate with a not less than 12% net return a year on ROCE.

going forward, if I miss either of these numbers I shall stop trading the maket.

done right for those that utilize it - hedging & leverage can be beneficial.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    #59     Oct 5, 2020
  10. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Sounds like you have a plan and you follow it!! :D

#60     Oct 5, 2020