What is the realistic profit goal from forex?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by jm73, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Because any system I might design in Forex can be scaled up to a much larger size than would be possible in any other market. So I really have to say its the liquidity.

#21     Jun 17, 2006
  2. nlslax

nlslax

Good point.
    Thanks again.

#22     Jun 17, 2006
  3. Please elaborate the "10:1 leverage all the time". Thanks.

Are you saying something related to position sizing , if not "all the time"?

#23     Jun 18, 2006
  4. I've been trying this a few days a week , depending on volatility.

absolutely exhausting after a few hours. I felt like my eyes were going to bleed and my brain was numb.:p

#24     Jun 18, 2006
  5. Perhaps Return vs Risk.

#25     Jun 18, 2006
  6. What is the realistic profit goal from forex?

I would say a realistic profit goal would be to lose between 20-40 pips per day, on average...:p

#26     Jun 18, 2006
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Granville,

Liquidity, are you serious? If you are talking about intra bank trading where you shifts 10s and 100s of millions of $, then yes the liquidity is there, but chance are you are talking about of the retail market makers. Do you realize that by trading with any of them, you are just exposed to this broker platform and not 2 trillion $ market. CME currency futures has a much bigger liquidity then ANY FOREX MARKET MAKER.

Be careful, be very careful when you start trading 10,20,30+ standard lots at forex brokers.

redduke

#27     Jun 18, 2006
  8. Redduke - Good point. Right now I am using Interactive Broker's IdealPro, which is good for now. It is like an ECN, but not exactly, at least there is no dealing desk. After IB's system, there is always Currenex and other ECN's out there to access. And as you mentioned, FX Futures are available to trade as well.

Granville

#28     Jun 18, 2006
  9. RedDuke

RedDuke

I am gald you are fully aware about it. You'll be surprised how many people think that by opening account at xyz forex.com they are exposed to 2 trillion dollar market.

#29     Jun 18, 2006
  10. For longer term strategies, a retail broker might still work for large sums (FXCM will absorb $15M buy/sell orders at a time), but higher frequency systems need an open market.

What do you trade RedDuke?

#30     Jun 18, 2006