What is the optimum tax rate on the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Nov 29, 2011.

Tax rate on the wealthy (say earners of > 1M a year)

1. 0 - 10%

28 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. 11% - 20%

16 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 21% - 30%

26 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. 31% - 40%

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. 41% - 50%

13 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. 51% - 60%

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. 61% - 70%

18 vote(s)
    14.4%
  8. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. I don't care

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Nice observations. I am guessing less than 1% of the american population knows this

#151     Jul 2, 2013
  2. That's a sales tax, not an investment gains tax...

#152     Jul 2, 2013
  3. nitro

nitro

How the super rich avoid taxes. The article explains the most efficient way:

Will Mark Zuckerberg Ever Pay Taxes Again?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46236916

#153     Mar 4, 2014
  4. Abolish all taxes.. state, federal, gas, excise, income... Eliminate all paper currency and issue every entity or person that wants to settle in dollars a us treasury debit card.

Simply Charge 1% transaction tax on all monetary exchange without exception.
    Treasury deducts 1% from receiving party.

#154     Mar 4, 2014
  5. sle

sle

(a) I suspect that unlike most posters in this thread, a larger chunk of my income falls into the upper bracket

(b) I have to admit paying taxes is pretty painful and once I am done with federal+state+city it certainly feels like I am a minority shareholder in my own life

(c) I would not mind paying even higher marginal rates if it is going to make a positive impact on peoples lives, rather then buy more aircraft carriers. Danes/Sweedes/Norvegians/Finns pay higher tax rates, but they also get free medicine/kindergarden/college and good pensions.

(d) Anywhere from 40 to 60 percent of spending goes to defence. A single stupid Predator drone costs $4.2mm - you can give pretty good education and job serach assitance to a whole city block of ghetto kids for that money.

#155     Mar 4, 2014
  6. I'd consider a 0% tax rate for the wealthy.

Taxation is largely for the poor and middle class. Taxes are needed for government services. The wealthy do not require those services.

But, that assumes that the world allows people to build real wealth for themselves. That would require an EDI format for banking transactions.

Promise
    Promise

Deliver
    Deliver

End transaction.

#156     Mar 4, 2014
  7. I am not for higher taxes at all, but don't forget about roads, bridges, etc. Unless the wealthy fly their helicopter to work or work from home, they use those government services.

#157     Mar 4, 2014
  8. I know that. I agree. Frequently solutions present themselves by stretching the limits.

The point is, the roads and bridges part of the budget is nothing in comparison to all the very stupid things government spends its money on. I want out of this stupidity.

#158     Mar 5, 2014
  9. Tax on the wealthy should not be 0. That's reasonably easy to establish based on some basic modeling of a theoretical economy.

#159     Mar 6, 2014