What is the most you've been margined?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DisciplinedHedg, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Trading stocks or futures, whats the most you've been margined out?

I think for me via futures its been almost 15x my account size. :confused: Very very brief though, and sweating all of the way. The little angel on my shoulder says to me - WTF are you thinking you moron - during those times. The devil inside says - Attaboy, pump it up baby!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. prox

prox

I think I've traded 3 ES contracts with a $5000 account on $1750? IB margin .. how do I calculate how much I had leveraged ?

3. DblArrow

DblArrow

Had just over $5600 in IB account and traded 4 ZB at the time it was $1350 per intraday. Took two tics panicked and bailed. But the quick $250 got me hooked and now I have a real problem at times.

Make em' pretty, Chris

4. Kap

Kap

Writing uncovered call options with exploding volatility hence the 220,000K margin call one day before expiry. Gamma trading ouch !

5. lescor

lescor

I'm 23:1 right now. Various non-directional arbitrage trades. No sweat.

6. Infinity to 1.

had no $ in my account and $400k in positions

7. Kap

Kap

Just out of interest, what type of arbitrage, most seem to be just stock pickers on here, I myself do index arbitrage.

8. 20:1

9. Southpaw

Southpaw

Back in 99, I ran my stock account up to a little over $1mil. fully margined all the way. I remember talking about my margin balance with my buddy and he said I was crazy. He was right. I lost half my account in about 2 weeks in March of 2K and the rest of the account over the next 4 months. It was a great ride and I felt rich for a few months. Now if only I knew what I was doing, I'd be retired by now. Hopefully I can catch the next bull run and get out near the top and not ride it all the way back down.