What is the most statistically predictable Option strategy?

Discussion in 'Options' started by xandman, Feb 21, 2015.

1. I'm sure it's been stated a hundred times already, but since people don't seem to let it sink in I'll say it again.

Karen's strategy is directional. It's a bull market strategy. Nobody should be surprised that in the last 5 years, a clearly bullish directional strategy on the SPX would work. Why people like to lump Karen's trading in with direction neutral strategies I have no idea, but it's very disingenuous to do this.

#21     Feb 26, 2015
  2. "most consistent publicly available strategy "
    If this strategy ever exist, all the" public" traders will be millionaire and winner, and not the 90% losers.

#22     Feb 26, 2015
  3. Gambit

Gambit

Man I am up late so I hope this response makes sense. It is still possible to lose or blow out an account with a backspread. The risk might be easier to manage with a backspread because it is more defined. It is similar to trading a butterfly against a butterfly in the futures market. The backspread mitigates some risk, increases commissions cost, increases bid ask spread cost and decreases profit. A backspread strategy may still erode an account over time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    #23     Feb 26, 2015
  4. Gambit

Gambit

One last thing...IMHO, a known unknown is easier to manage than unknown unknown. Not trying to be cryptic, just stating an opinion.

#24     Feb 26, 2015
  5. What are the listed variance swap instruments? I found this one (but cannot seem to get a daily chart on it ...):

http://cfe.cboe.com/Products/Products_VA.aspx

#25     Feb 28, 2015
  6. taowave

taowave

Would you elaborate on this mystical post?

#26     Feb 28, 2015
  7. Gambit

Gambit

It is based on a quote from Donald Rumsfeld and Nassim Taleb cites it in his book. I think the quote has utility in trading options. For example, a short options strangle has unknown and potentially devastating risk. A wrangle or back spread has limited and defined risk. Pragmatically, it is easier to manage a position where risk is clearly bound (or as bound as risk can be in options trading)...IMHO.

#27     Feb 28, 2015
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You can't trade them listed. Only through OTC which would require an institutional account with an isda. My statement was more for illustrative purposes.

#28     Feb 28, 2015

9. What is the most statistically predictable Option strategy?

They all are predictable. Anyone with a basic understanding of options should be able to predict a rough value of the position depending on the value of the underlining. The underlining is the unpredictable part.

:)

#29     Feb 28, 2015
  10. ThomasB

ThomasB

The statistically most predictable option strategy according to your definition is simply a short box (giving a credit and receiving the risk free rate), although this is obvious not the answer you expected to hear.

#30     Mar 1, 2015