What is the most liquid 2-year European EUR denominated government bond

Discussion in 'Fixed Income' started by Maverick2608, Nov 24, 2022.

1. No bond futures.

2. FGBS Schatz Futures on Eurex. You can look on the underlying in the description of FGBS on Eurex exchange, if you do not want to hold the futures but the underlying cash itself.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. Thanks but as I wrote I want to park the money (for tax reasons) and do not want to roll over - hence no futures. I also assume you pay indirect interest on futures contracts. I want to earn interest, not pay interest.

4. maxinger

maxinger

Strange....

If you need to pay tons of taxes, you should be very happy. Because you are among the top 5% of the traders.

Majority of the traders don't pay taxes because they lose money.

TheDawn and Maverick2608 like this.
  5. M.W.

M.W.

I don't trade nor invest in European fixed income instruments but you are displaying some misunderstanding about bond futures. Bond futures allow you to speculate in market shifts in the underlying bond yields. Interest/coupons are priced into the future price, you don't pay interest on futures contracts, not even indirectly. For more details you may want to study about fixed income futures and forward pricing.

What you are looking for are outright purchases of sovereign debt, either coupon bearing or discount securities, depending on your anticipated holding period. Alternatively, you might be able to invest in a bond or short term interest ETF or in some European markets, CFD.

6. TheDawn

TheDawn

Keep them in term deposits or US T-Bills. Last time I checked, they are paying out 4.12% on a 1-month T-Bill treasury. https://ycharts.com/indicators/1_month_treasury_rate#:~:text=1 Month Treasury Rate is at 4.12%, compared to 3.97,day and 0.06% last year.

Maverick2608 likes this.
  7. TheDawn

TheDawn

Nah??? How do you know?? LOL

8. Thank you. I have never invested in bonds or bond futures, so I have very limited knowledge.

When you invest in an equity index future, you pay the commission up front but not the contract value. Hence an indirect interest payment must be build into the price of the future, otherwise you can profit from arbitrage. I assume the same goes for bond futures? You do not pay anything up front except for commission, so an interest charge must be build into the price of the bond future?

I want to earn that interest.

9. Unfortunately I am taxed at a much higher rate on profit than the tax value of the deduction when I make a loss on FX. When the dollar moves up and down, I will therefore risk paying tax even though I do not earn anything. Yes, it would be better to move to another tax jurisdiction. The reason for not doing that is: children.

That is why I look for European government bonds to take FX fluctuations out of the equation.

10. Yes, bond futures work the same as equity futures.

#10     Nov 25, 2022
    Maverick2608 likes this.