What is the most depressing, unfulfilling job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Cassie

Cassie

#11     Jun 26, 2010

2. yeah, but the sign-holder has the last laugh, far less stress and NO sinkhole .....

You = market player for decades, work a fulltime job, get paid and flush it down the toilet trading against consistent losses with odds of losing = 95%, yet each year come back for more punishment. Its like getting grace marks and still failing.

In comparison to your disease, the sign-holder is in paradise.

#12     Jun 26, 2010

3. sorry, incomplete answer ....

but a sign-holder who is also a market trader would be a fckin sight to BEHOLD!

#13     Jun 26, 2010
  4. Worst job...hmmm...

Don Bright's dietitian?

#14     Jun 26, 2010
  5. da-net

da-net

I do not believe that are any bad jobs. It is what make of it, what you learn from it, how well you do it, the camaraderie, the enjoyment, knowing that you are providing for yourself or your family and contributing to society.

I've had many jobs over the years, service station attendant (gas jockey), mechanic, soldier, stock broker, business owner, husband, father and family man,, telemarketer, and trader. There are some that were better than others, but usually this had more to do with the people around me or supervisors than with the jobs.

From each I've taken something that defines who I am. From being a;

1...Service Station Attendant (gas jockey) I learned the importance of doing a job well and the pride of accomplishment.

2...Mechanic, I learned that patience and emotional control helps to accomplish given tasks in a timely manner and to do the best work I could

3...Soldier, I learned that I can truly depend on my "brothers" to watch my back and that I will do the same for them. I also learned that the MOS 67SB20 is not something that I ever want to do again, but it was a task that had to be performed for the benefit of everyone.

4...Stock Broker (salesman), that I did not have a deceptive mentality and thus I made money for my clients, but damn little for me. That government's and regulation organizations only interest is in regulating the little guy (broker) but not in regulation or enforcement of the activity of the BDs.

5....Business owner, That I had others (employees) that I had to put their needs and their families needs before my own for my business to succeed and grow properly. The employees learned from my example to put the customer first thus ensuring success and growth.

6...Husband, that I care for someone else so much that I choose to put them before me in anything I think or do. That the minor bumps of life are exactly that and are only a small part of growing together. That my wife is also my best friend!

7...Father and Family Man, I can never hope to explain to you how much joy there is in seeing your children being born and growing up to be the people they become. Nor how much you give them of their values, personality, and drive to be more than I am!

Or the pride that I have for my children as they succeed and walk through this journey called LIFE and when they share their triumphs and failures with me, I just can't explain it to those that have not experienced it.

8...Telemarketer, I learned how to get over the apprehension of cold calling people, how to have respect for those that do that job, how to continue working even when you have taken a beating by someone on the the last call. To understand that they really were not abusing you they were just venting their frustration for something that may have happened to them at their job.

9...Trader, that the last trade was neither my best or my worst and there will be more of both, just shake it off and move on to the next opportunity. That trading is more about self exploration and growth of ones self than about money. BUT the money helps.

There are more and smaller jobs of short duration that I've taken over the years and I learned from all of them.

About those "sign holders", I've seen some of them that truly enjoy their job, dance around, have fun, kid around with the motorists, and are more free than most people. Heck I almost envy them, in their job. Having that much fun, exercise AND getting paid to do it! WOW!!

#15     Jun 26, 2010
  6. Somewhere early in life I either read this or someone told me, "If you're going to be a sign holder, be the best sign holder that ever lived".

Two things will happen.

Someone will recognize you as the best, and hire you away for more productive use of your talents, diligence, your spirit or enthusiasm

OR

you yourself will recognize you are the best signholder in the business and become the most well paid sign holder in the country or you are going to quit.

#16     Jun 26, 2010
  7. Now as far as what I think is an unfulfilling job. Which I tell my kids if you want to stand around all day and get paid for doing nothing.

Go and get yourself a job gaurding an art exhibit at a museum. These people stand in one room all day and make sure no one violates the "do not touch" warnings. pffffftttt. "Whoa!! there pardner "No photographs!" double pfffttttt. pffftttt.

#17     Jun 26, 2010
  8. Dunno, "Night at the Museum" showed it can be pretty nerve wracking doing that :D

[​IMG]

#18     Jun 26, 2010
  9. I think its is not the type of job that makes it depressing but how we feel about it. A person can be holding a high ranking position but if he doesn't have his heart on it,then it makes it depressing. And a person can be mapping the floor but if he knows he is good at it and is happy about it, then it doesn't become a depressing job.

#19     Jun 26, 2010
  10. pma

pma

Are you from Seattle? They had an interesting article in the Stranger magazine about the Lusty Lady closing (and the jizz moppers of course). Kind of a bummer:(

#20     Jun 27, 2010