What is the Mercedes Benz of trading software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ryancohen, Oct 7, 2006.

1. romik

romik

Bad dancer will always blame his balls for his inability to put on a top performance :) Just a joke.

There are lots of very good platforms out there, that would encounter problems from time to time. The most important thing is your ability, more important than any soft. Hell, there are still people placing huge orders via the good old telephone.

#21     Oct 10, 2006
  2. Trade Signal 5 looks really good...

#22     Oct 11, 2006
  3. update:
    I have been running Trade Signal through a few hoops and it is probably the one program I have seen over the last month that has the potential to be a star: but not yet...

there are some really annoying quirks that simply need to go: the zooming is terrible, the manual scaling locks and has to be re-adjusted if you scroll, the fomrula language is not very compatable with other things i've used...

but like I said, this program could really be something...

#23     Oct 11, 2006
  4. taowave

taowave

When you say the formula language is not very compatable with other things you used,are you strictly referring to tradestation??

What is their code like?

#24     Oct 11, 2006
  5. (Cross posted because it seemed relevant)...

Incidentially, I've been playing around with TradeSignals over the past few days. Very interesting software. My issues with it are as follows:

- A german company - you can't currently buy the software/service here in the US (I'm just using a trial). The other downside is support is, well, challenging. The online forum is german only, and the tech support staff seems to be around for very limited hours.

- No "run" button. Their software is designed to be constantly updating. This works well in many cases (scanning, etc.) but the software itself is very slow to update when you're running a system and making changes because it tries to update the system after each change. So, say you are trying to modify two parameters - you have to wait until it updates the portfolio for the first one before you change the second one.

- I find the interface a bit Mickey-mouse.

- No offline editing - you have to be online to use the service.

On the other side, it has a quite impressive feature set:

- Genetic tools (which neither QD or RE currently have.

- Good charting capabilities.

- Realtime data feeds via Reuters - so you can run the system in real-time.

In general it looks like an interesting package if they make some strides in setting up shop here in the US. It doesn't provide the flexibility of either QD or RE but would be good for someone just starting in system development.

#25     Oct 11, 2006
  6. taowave

taowave

Thomas,
    I found Ami to be an excellent piece of software.Whats ironic is that its strengths were what i found to be a bit daunting.From my perspective,as a non programmer,the fact that it was so versatile made it a bit unweildy for me.Ami leaves it up to the user as to what he/she would like to perform/code.Less powerful tools acome with much less flexibility,but hard code a bit more of the features..

My only piece of criticism would be the lack of a really good training manual or video...The basic AFL is great and easy to implement and optimisation couldnt be easier,but once you jump to looping,you are pretty much on your own.As far as I know,the advanced coding is not a language that one can pick up a Dummies book and reference.

If Ami could make things a bit easier in the growth process,it would be great

#26     Oct 11, 2006
  7. giladbi

giladbi

QD = ?
    RE = ?

#27     Oct 11, 2006
  8. #28     Oct 11, 2006
  9. giladbi

giladbi

10. Prolly Schonex.

#30     Oct 11, 2006