what is the lowest amount in your account you ever traded the eminis?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hi anek,

can you explain why having $4500.00 of capital cushion for intraday trading one YM contract is prudent? it seems to me, the 4500.00 could be much better invested elsewhere for the day.

if one losses 100 points with commissions, isn't it smart to quit for the day anyway?? i have always believed that those who suggest more money are the brokers and others who profit from the market machinery---the more you have in there, the more you can give me ( lose ).

what am i missing?

surf

#21     Jan 18, 2008
  2. Well the intraday swing trading drawdown from stops can add up, especially in markets of high volatility. On top of that you can have the capital in Tbonds and still be able to trade using 80% or so of full margin.

However, like I said before, if we are talking scalping, definitely don't need that much.

Anek

#22     Jan 18, 2008
  3. Well i think to trade the emini a person should have atleast $25K - $100 so that he can not worry about the swings and all which happend intraday
    I started trading futures with $2500

#23     Jan 18, 2008
  4. You, my friend, are nuts :)

Just because you had issues trading the way you do with under 3k, doesnt mean others are in the same boat.

5K is plenty for someone starting out who is disciplined and patient. maybe Kson isnt either of those things? If thats the case, wouldnt you think you'd blow through 25-100k eventually?

#24     Jan 18, 2008
  5. a lot of this has to do with the max draw down you accept..when
    I am trading the YM...I only allow like 10 point drawdown...if that!!!!!!!!!...I like high speed scalping the YM...actually like to keep the drawdown to 3-5 points...

#25     Jan 18, 2008
  6. np. i used to have the same mentality where I'd tell my girlfriend and friends about my good days but not my huge bad days. It made me look like a super trader. now i seem to have no problem admitting to my dummy mistakes. i dont know why... just wanted to be honest with myself and everyone.

#26     Feb 10, 2008